Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Canadian Railroads > Sunshine in Nova Scotia

Date: 12/13/18 15:07
Sunshine in Nova Scotia
Author: cn6218

It's been cold for the past week in Nova Scotia, unseasonably it seems, but I guess we should get used to it.  The good news is that cold weather is usually clear weather, so we got Montreal's sunshine from yesterday, today.

After a few days of being badly off it's schedule (before sun up on Monday and Tuesday, and then 5 hours late yesterday), 120 arrived early today, but still during good lighting, rolling around the big curve in Bedford at 09:15 this morning.  The CEFX AC4400CW leasers seem to be one of the most infrequent visitors here during CN's year of leasing anything they can get their hands on.  8818 is having a bit of an identity crisis too.  It doesn't look like the cab was repainted, rather that somebody had enough time on their hands to peel off the noodle!  I'd love to hear the real story on that one. For the record the middle GE was 2956 and the DPU (not shown) was 2846.

About half an hour after 120 went through Windsor Jct., the gypsum turn went west to the mine at East Milford.  By 12:30, 511 had 54 loads tied on behind and was returning to Dartmouth as they roared through the small village of Lantz at 51 mph.  The 56/5700s are the crew favourites on this job, and even though it's looking a little faded after 20 years on the road, they're probably enjoying the Whisper Cab on the return trip.

GTD

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/14/18 09:12
Re: Sunshine in Nova Scotia
Author: gaspeamtrak

Nice ! At least you are getting some sunshine down your way! 

Date: 12/14/18 14:39
Author: superchief1944

That short video of the gypsum turn was pretty cool.....and a brisk speed for an un-gated crossing. Matched cars, very little graffiti. Very nicely done.

Date: 12/15/18 08:07
Author: cn6218

Both the mine and the shipping facility are fenced, and when the cars are out on the road, they're generally travelling at 50 mph or better.  It's hard to apply grafitti under those conditions.

National Gypsum maintains the cars (unlike the old gons, which CN owned).  They seem to be in pretty good shape, not withstanding the flat spot or two on the wheels at the end of the train in the video.  A CN carman brake tests them at Wrights Cove before the empties leave, and probably does a visual inspection at the same time.

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds