Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Canadian Railroads > Gaspé rail news

Date: 01/04/19 08:21
Gaspé rail news
Author: Ray_Murphy

I heard a radio report this morning on how well the Gaspé Railway (Société du chemin de fer de la Gaspésie (SCFG)) did in 2018. There were some questions about the status of the line in the comments to Michael Berry's post a couple of days ago, and the report provided some answers. It indicated they have fast-growing traffic and will be acquiring two additional locomotives. The only print version I could find was this one (in French, with pictures): 

https://www.lesoleil.com/actualite/en-region/record-pour-le-transport-de-marchandise-par-train-en-gaspesie-f58af7e5f3ae678cbbbf9600dd1aba84

The full restoration of the line to Gaspé awaits the replacement of several bridges, expected to be completed by 2020.

Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/19 05:11 by Ray_Murphy.

Date: 01/04/19 09:12
Re: Gaspé rail news
Author: Lackawanna484

merci beaucoup -  per Google Translate:Between 2016 and 2017, the Gaspésie Railway Company (SCFG) had also experienced a significant increase in ridership, of 60%, a situation attributable to the transportation of wind blades and, to a lesser extent, to the beginning of the activities of the cement plant in Port-Daniel, 18 months ago.

In 2018, growth in blade shipments to the southern United States continued, while cement transportation increased tenfold from 111 cars last year to about 1,000 in 2018. Nearly 1,800 The blades were shipped, while forest products from the Temrex plant in New were loaded into 1,500 cars of chips and lumber.

"Growth is expected to continue in 2019. We should exceed 5,000 cars. We will not be far otherwise. An increase in cement is expected because the McInnis Cement plant is further increasing production. It is the customer who has the last word. We do not control the shipping method but if we keep the same proportion of a plant up production, the tonnage passing through the rail will also increase, "says Luc Levesque, director of the SCFG.

Between 2015 and 2018, the FMAS's operating revenues increased tenfold from $ 5 million to $ 9 million. The carrier's direction prefers to give an order of magnitude rather than a precise figure.

Date: 01/04/19 10:26
Author: joemvcnj

I wish VIA Rail would schedule the Chaleur to allow a one night layover in Gaspe, but I don't know if that conforms to the Ocean's schedule.

Date: 01/04/19 10:52
Author: Mberry

I believe they will be acquiring the RS-18 locomotives that the Charlevoix tourist railway has not used in a number of years.

Michael

Date: 01/04/19 10:55
Author: joemvcnj

What happened to the Metra gallery cars that the Charlevoix operation used to use ?

Did Charlevoix ever get a 3rd DMU set ? I rode it last year, one was a broken down, and when talking to one of their staff, they expected another set from Germany.

Date: 01/04/19 11:14
Author: CPR_4000

Great news! ". . . forest products from the Temrex plant in New were loaded . . ." Would that be New Carlisle?

Date: 01/04/19 12:29
Author: cn6218

Temrex is in Nouvelle Ouest.  They were really the only consistent customer until the cement started to be shipped.  Gaspesie Diesel also has passenger cars going in and out to New Richmond for work, including the four VIA diners being refurbished.

GTD

Date: 01/04/19 14:40
Author: 4489

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish VIA Rail would schedule the Chaleur to
> allow a one night layover in Gaspe, but I don't
> know if that conforms to the Ocean's schedule.

Perhaps first we could get a VIA passenger train running in Gaspe!!

Date: 01/04/19 21:12
Author: gaspeamtrak

Ray_Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard a radio report this morning on how well
> the Gaspé Railway (Société du chemin de fer de
> la Gaspésie (SCFG)) did in 2018. There were some
> questions about the status of line in the comments
> to Michel Berry's post a couple of days ago, and
> the report provided some answers. It indicated
> they have fast-growing traffic and will be
> acquiring two additional locomotives. The only
> print version I could find was this one (in
> French, with pictures): 
>
> https://www.lesoleil.com/actualite/en-region/recor
> d-pour-le-transport-de-marchandise-par-train-en-ga
> spesie-f58af7e5f3ae678cbbbf9600dd1aba84
>
> The full restoration of the line to Gaspé awaits
> the replacement of several bridges, expected to be
> completed by 2020.
>
> Ray

Yes there is a bearer of good news!!!
I think the main bridges are just as you leave "Perce" towards Gaspe there is a "Huge " bridge there and also near "Brachois" another huge bridge also.
Then as you pass by "Haldiamond" beach there is a three span bridge that needs repair or replacement...
Finally the"New" Gaspe staion will get to see its first Via train since it was built 5 + years ago???
Thank for sharing Ray...:):):)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds