Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Canadian Railroads > Freight Car Friday - Expo 86 SteamExpo Logo and BC Hydro Boxcars

Date: 01/11/19 18:07
Freight Car Friday - Expo 86 SteamExpo Logo and BC Hydro Boxcars
Author: feclark

This post is inspired by Mberry's reply to hoggerdoug's MLW Monday post at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4704482. The subject BCOL locomotive had an Expo 86 logo painted on the fuel tank, eliciting some surprise from Michael.
1. Here's a less well-known logo from Expo 86, in this case a spray-painted stencil, promoting SteamExpo during Expo 86 in Vancouver. The subject is a double-door box car, BCH 7580, shot in Ottawa's Walkley Yard on April 22, 1987. I guess I didn't shoot the whole car because I knew I had shot a sister car earlier, the second photo here. Or maybe I just should have and didn't.
2. From September 10, 1980, this is 52'6" double-door box car BCH 7548, in a WB freight on CP having just rolled out from under the Gulf parking structure downtown. Would this be for any particular service? You think BC, you think lumber, but for the BCH? I assume this is the same order as the previous subject, built 4-76.
3. Its right-hand neighbour in the consist was BCH 665, looking gorgeous in the yellow and red scheme, 52'8", and built 9-77. I didn't quite wait long enough to pull the trigger, so it's cropped a bit. Sorry.
Fred

Date: 01/11/19 22:19
Re: Freight Car Friday - Expo 86 SteamExpo Logo and BC Hydro Boxc
Author: GREENGROCER

Hi Fred  These cars were used for lumber loading. The "Hydro" also had a fleet of Thrall door cars that opened right up for lumber loading.A good friend of mine worked as an engineer for them for 37 years,He said that in 70's and early 80's that it was normal for them to switch the mills along the North Arm of the Fraser River and end up 50-60 loads of lumber to take to Trapp Yard in New Westminister.Nothig left of the mills now. Today it's all Riverfront condos,light industry and parks

Date: 01/12/19 03:04
Author: perklocal

Thanks for posting these.  I never saw that Steam Expo stencil before. Pardon my ignorance,but did the "E" in BCE Route stand for Electric?

Date: 01/12/19 03:21
Author: railsmith

perklocal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting these.  I never saw that Steam
> Expo stencil before. Pardon my ignorance,but did
> the "E" in BCE Route stand for Electric?

Yes, it did.

Date: 01/12/19 07:25
Author: KM-ML4000

The spray paint stencils were applied to cars switched by visiting locomotives at Expo 86. Several steam locomotives performed some light switching in the yard where the visiting Expo locomotives were kept.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds