Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Canadian Railroads > Miserable Monday's in March

Date: 01/14/19 12:10
Miserable Monday's in March
Author: arwye

Its another Arctic cold front day at Calgary in March of 1974. Train #78 arrives with an eclectic mix of motive power as an undeterred track worker sweeps out a switch. Front to back we have: 3003-5012-8126-PNC158-8671-8545-PNC 130. The old Burns meat packing plant bookmarking the west side of Alyth yard, along with associated stock pens, mark the passing of time. Richard Yaremko

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/19 13:19 by arwye.

Date: 01/14/19 13:14
Re: Miserable Monday's in March
Author: hoggerdoug

Great image, and I can well imagine it was cold. Not sure what city is colder, Edmonton or Calgary although I have heard Edmonton referred to as the coldest city in Canada.  I endured 3 winters in Siberia, oh I mean Edmonton.
Doug

Date: 01/14/19 13:59
Author: feclark

That's a lovely shot; that Burn's plant was gone by the time I arrived in Calgary in 1979, I think. If my experience at the CN yard in Charlottetown, PEI (right next to a Canada Packer's plant) was any indicator, it's a good thing your photo isn't scratch and sniff!
Fred

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/19 14:40 by feclark.

Date: 01/14/19 14:01
Author: feclark

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great image, and I can well imagine it was cold.
> Not sure what city is colder, Edmonton or Calgary
> although I have heard Edmonton referred to as the
> coldest city in Canada.  I endured 3 winters in
> Siberia, oh I mean Edmonton.
> Doug

Oh, Edmonton for sure, Doug, if only because Calgary gets chinooks and we don't. I remember one day, working in Calgary, going to work in my parka at -16, and coming home at +13, Celsius. That's too much of a swing (52 Fahrenheit degrees, for the Americans on this board) for anyone's good.
Fred

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/19 14:41 by feclark.

Date: 01/14/19 17:31
Author: cn1063

Neat photo! I’m just trying to place it’s exact location, is this east of where the East wye swt for the Aldersyde (ex MacLeod sub) comes of the main line? Any idea on where train 78 came from?

Date: 01/15/19 08:32
Author: arwye

#78 is coming from Edmonton.

The photo is taken at the north end of Alyth with the Blackfoot Trail overpass behind me. 

cn1063 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neat photo! I’m just trying to place it’s
> exact location, is this east of where the East wye
> swt for the Aldersyde (ex MacLeod sub) comes of
> the main line? Any idea on where train 78 came
> from?

Date: 01/15/19 08:52
Author: cn1063

Thank you, I work that subdivision today, I’d kill for a consist like that!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0334 seconds