Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Canadian Railroads > Miserable Alberta Monday's-A Tale Of Two Number One's

Date: 02/04/19 14:43
Miserable Alberta Monday's-A Tale Of Two Number One's
Author: arwye

On this rather sad day of news about CP's Field Hill run away grain train, lets try to reflect on some better times with this winter consist comparison of two  #1 passenger trains. It's the first Sunday in March 1974 and I'm introducing my future bride to some railfanning. That's her on the platform at Bassano as a seven car CANADIAN passes by. A couple years earlier I ventured out on the first day of January, 1972, just missing CN's westbound SUPER CONTINENTAL coming off the Beverley Bridge crossing of the North Saskatchewan River and having to settle for the going away shot. Seventeen cars make up this train approaching East Edmonton. Bassano was cold that March day, but nothing like the typical arctic outflow over Edmonton in January. Richard Yaremko

Date: 02/04/19 15:12
Re: Miserable Alberta Monday's-A Tale Of Two Number One's
Author: spdaylight

No need to apologize on the going away shot . .  it's still a winner!

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

Date: 02/04/19 15:23
Author: King_Coal

Handsome shots. I'd take a ride on either one.

Date: 02/04/19 15:36
Author: stevelv

Awesome photos Richard.  Love the back to back CP F units by the station with your future bride in the shot.  The  "just missed" shot was great too as it shows the whole train.  I've had many of those just missed experiences in my close to 50 years of railfanning.  From looking at your shot of the CN train it seems that you would have had nice light on the bridge which I'm guessing was behind you.  Just wondering if you had any photos of other trains on the bridge to share?  Thanks.
Steve B.

Date: 02/04/19 15:52
Author: tsokolan

Well, the pole line is gone today but you can still shoot varnish on the Beverly Bridge in Edmonton, although its now an all VIA consist!

-Trevor

Date: 02/04/19 20:49
Author: arwye

I don't have any photo's taken on the bridge. Those wires posed too big a problem, and there was no vantage point to shoot down on a train. Plus I left Edmonton in September of 1972.
Trevor remarked the wires are gone, but now that road is a freeway. Perhaps Trevor can post something he has shot there. Glad you enjoyed my photos Steve, and thank you for the "thumbs up". Richard

stevelv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Awesome photos Richard.  Love the back to back CP
> F units by the station with your future bride in
> the shot.  The  "just missed" shot was great too
> as it shows the whole train.  I've had many of
> those just missed experiences in my close to 50
> years of railfanning.  From looking at your shot
> of the CN train it seems that you would have had
> nice light on the bridge which I'm guessing was
> behind you.  Just wondering if you had any photos
> of other trains on the bridge to share?  Thanks.
> Steve B.

Date: 02/05/19 06:17
Author: BCR_766

As Trevor stated, the Yellowhead freeway parallels the bridge and the wires are gone...... there is a great little vantage point if you safely pull off the yellowhead where you can catch great West bounds from. Unfortunately I only had my Iphone at the time, but it gives you a sample.

Date: 02/05/19 10:39
Author: stevelv

Cool bridge.  Thanks guys for the photo and info.

Date: 02/05/19 11:49
Author: BCR_766

Steve, another from the same location, just different vantage point.
Corey (bcr_766)

Date: 02/05/19 15:38
Author: feclark

Nice classics; the fence posts and smoke on CN really add to the shot. The bridge has many good angles for EB too, am light, working with points of land north of, between the two directions of, and south of the Yellowhead Highway.
Fred

Date: 02/05/19 15:48
Author: tsokolan

A couple from the Bailey bridge:
X318 crosses the bridge headed east on a chilly February 2018 day

Q119 heads west in January of 2016 (drone shot)

-Trevor

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0536 seconds