Home Open Account Help 138 users online

Canadian Railroads > spiral tunnel overlook 1973

Date: 02/09/19 08:26
spiral tunnel overlook 1973
Author: robj

Never find what I am looking for, these are culls I think but do show the overlook. Someone else can maybe provide some context as to the derailment.
Hard to follow the various accounts. If these are not relevant I can delete.

Bob Jordan

Date: 02/09/19 09:45
Re: spiral tunnel overlook 1973
Author: DJ-12

It sounds like the locomotives on the runaway derailed into the river not far beyond the lead SD of the downhill train in the first shot you posted, with everything piling up from there back to the left including the highway overpass at Yoho and into the upper tunnel.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/09/19 09:48
Author: robj

DJ-12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It sounds like the locomotives on the runaway
> derailed into the river not far beyond the lead SD
> of the downhill train in the first shot you
> posted, with everything piling up from there back
> to the left including the highway overpass at Yoho
> and into the upper tunnel.
>
> Posted from iPhone

That is what I thought, derailed after coming out of upper but there was different maps.

Bob

Date: 02/09/19 10:48
Author: KickingHorse

DJ-12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It sounds like the locomotives on the runaway
> derailed into the river not far beyond the lead SD
> of the downhill train in the first shot you
> posted,

Correct. In pic #1 the 5660 is near the west switch Yoho. The stretch of track from there back uphill to the highway bridge appears to have escaped undamaged. The first bridge over the river is not far off-camera to the right which is where the lead loco and a few cars derailed.

> with everything piling up from there back
> to the left including the highway overpass at Yoho
> and into the upper tunnel.
>

Not exactly. The lead loco and a few cars had broken free from the rest of the train back at the S-curve under the highway overpass. It was at the uphill side of the bridge where the rest of the front half, the mid-train remote (UP loco) and some of the back half derailed and made the big pile-up. Uphill from there is another stretch of undamaged track where a few cars remained on the rails. The third derailment site is the curve  just outside the lower portal of the Uppper Tunnel. Here there was another break apart with 12-15 cars derailing. There have not been any photos or videos showing the tail-end remote and with the news that it remained upright and on the rails, it must have stayed in the tunnel with a few cars that also did not derail.

Date: 02/13/19 18:27
spiral tunnel overlook 1947
Author: cinder

Taken by my grandfather in June 1947.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds