Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA # 2 Very Late Leaving Vancouver

Date: 02/15/19 17:28
VIA # 2 Very Late Leaving Vancouver
Author: viatrainrider

VIA # 2, the Canadian 4.5 hours late leaving Vancouver today (15).  I realize #1 was late in there yesterday (14).  But Toronto can turn the train in six hours.  And Vancouver is usually where very late incoming #1's get back on schedule for awhile, anyway, as departing #2.  And isn't there a enough equipment parked at Vancouver for another consist minus perhaps a Prestige Park car?  This late out of the gate doesn't bode well for this #2's trip east.  Anyone know why the late departure?  And I do not need to hear from anyone saying we should get rid of the train.

Date: 02/15/19 17:53
Re: VIA # 2 Very Late Leaving Vancouver
Author: agentatascadero

Good Lord.....with a twice weekly schedule I think there can be no (good) reason for turning an arrival out to depart the same day.  With performances seen on this schedule, I guess it is necessary to have two, or more, days of dwell time in order to insure an OT departure.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 02/15/19 18:56
Author: CarolVoss

I think there are a bunch of railfan/railroaders aboard this train  on the annual Moonlighters (I think thats the name) trip. Not an auspicious start, but we rode Prestige class in Aug 2016 from Vancouver to Toronto and it was glorious and worth every penny!!
C

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 02/15/19 21:18
Author: WP17

I am riding todays eastbound Canadian and yes we were late (4 hrs and 20 minutes) leaving Vancouver account of engine issues. One of the three units had hed end power issues and they did get it resolved and we are on our way -- allittle noprth of Spuzzum as I write this. We boarded the train just before noon and were served lunch as normal except we were not moving.

@Carol Voss: the moonlighters trip this year will be mid march so thereis a much smaller crowd on board -- just a few of us enthusiasts

WP17

viatrainrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VIA # 2, the Canadian 4.5 hours late leaving
> Vancouver today (15).  I realize #1 was late in
> there yesterday (14).  But Toronto can turn the
> train in six hours.  And Vancouver is usually
> where very late incoming #1's get back on schedule
> for awhile, anyway, as departing #2.  And isn't
> there a enough equipment parked at Vancouver for
> another consist minus perhaps a Prestige Park
> car?  This late out of the gate doesn't bode well
> for this #2's trip east.  Anyone know why the
> late departure?  And I do not need to hear from
> anyone saying we should get rid of the train.

Date: 02/16/19 08:39
Author: andersonb109

Does the Moonlighter's trip run in both directions...or just Vancouver to Toronto?  Carol mentioned mid March. The reason for asking is I'm on the March 16 No. 1 departure from Toronto. So my equipment will leave Vancouver on March 12.

Date: 02/16/19 08:47
Author: viatrainrider

I think the big group for Moonlighters is on the eastbound #2.  However, last year I had an e-mail from a guy on the train after it had turned at Toronto and was now running west.  Not as many people but still some of the Moonlighters group returning to Vancouver.

And to WP 21(?) thanks for the info on the delayed Vancouver departure.  Not a frequent happening but if it has to happen, good it happened right next to the Vancouver Maintenance Center.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds