Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Canadian Railroads > Canadian Pacific Coal Gondolas

Date: 03/07/19 13:34
Canadian Pacific Coal Gondolas
Author: mp35mountain

I have noticed in the Canadian Pacific's unit coal trains a large number of non CP owned, leased coal gondolas.  Reporting marks include BBLX, CEFX, CITX, FURX, GEAX, MQRX, NCUX, NDYX NOKL, PNJX and TILX.  My question is, are these cars leased by Canadian Pacific or by Teck Resources?  I have search through the US Surface Transportation Board's website but have not found any info concerning a lease between either CP or Teck and the cars owners.  Thanks for any info!

Tim
mp35mountain

Date: 03/07/19 16:07
Re: Canadian Pacific Coal Gondolas
Author: PHall

mp35mountain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have noticed in the Canadian Pacific's unit coal
> trains a large number of non CP owned, leased coal
> gondolas.  Reporting marks include BBLX, CEFX,
> CITX, FURX, GEAX, MQRX, NCUX, NDYX NOKL, PNJX and
> TILX.  My question is, are these cars leased by
> Canadian Pacific or by Teck Resources?  I have
> search through the US Surface Transportation
> Board's website but have not found any info
> concerning a lease between either CP or Teck and
> the cars owners.  Thanks for any info!
>
> Tim
> mp35mountain

The Teck mine is in British Columbia, Canada so you might want to check the Canadian version of the STB.

Date: 03/07/19 16:37
Author: mp35mountain

I thought of that but all the rail car lessors that I mentioned are US companies. There are listings under both CP and Teck on the STB website. I looked for a Canadian government website but was unsuccessful.

Tim
mp35mountain

Posted from Android

Date: 03/08/19 07:59
Author: sarailfan

I know a number of years ago the NOKL aluminum coal gons were leased by CP. At some point a bunch were relettered for CP while retaining the same car number, perhaps a lease-to-own arrangement. I'm not sure any of the lease terms are in the public domain so may be difficult to confirm who owns/leases what these days.

I suspect they're all leased by CP, as CP has supplied cars for western coal for years. BN shifted to utility owned cars in the early days of the Powder River basin because they didn't have the necessary capital to finance the cars themselves, and they take lower revenues per carload (no car hire charges) to this day on Powder River coal.

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0541 seconds