Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Canadian Railroads > Saturday morning CP derailment between Alyth and Ogden

Date: 03/09/19 10:47
Saturday morning CP derailment between Alyth and Ogden
Author: Marcus

Global News Calgary reports a Saturday morning derailment
between Alyth and Ogden along the CP mainline.

Video of the scene.
Also, a video news story about growing list of incidents.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5038558/cp-rail-train-derails-southeast-calgary/

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada has deployed a team of investigators.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/tsb-deploys-a-team-of-investigators-to-the-site-of-a-train-derailment-in-calgary-alberta-874849349.html

CP was recently subject to an Order under the Railway Safety Act
restricting switching operations at Alyth yard,
due to "an immediate threat to safe railways operations."

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/railsafety/railsafety-570.htm

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/19 18:32 by Marcus.

Date: 03/09/19 12:18
Re: Saturday morning CP derailment between Alyth and Ogden
Author: stevelv

Hmmm,  I wonder who won the pool.   https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4748266

Looking at this video and pictures it seems the RCL yard units ran into the side of the train crossing over in front of them.  That's just my observation as I know there are some on here that frown upon speculation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/19 12:27 by stevelv.

Date: 03/09/19 12:50
Author: spwolfmtn

I have this bad notion now that every time before I click on the "Canadian Railroads" discussion, I automatically think to myself "well, let's see where the derailment or accident is for today"...

Seems like there is way too much of these now days.

Add on: After looking at the news clip for this, saw the additional updated news clip on this same news site about the Spiral Tunnel derailment that killed 3 CP employees.  It said that the federal investigators said that this crew was not at fault for what happened, sounded like the train started moving on its own about the time they were changing crews, and since the train line was in emergancy, there was no air in the system to set any air brakes.  Such a sad tragedy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/19 13:02 by spwolfmtn.

Date: 03/09/19 13:01
Author: andersonb109

Is it just me, or do there seem to be way more derailments in Canada than the U.S. And we have way more track. Or are there just more on this board who post about them.

Date: 03/09/19 13:14

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it just me, or do there seem to be way more
> derailments in Canada than the U.S. And we have
> way more track. Or are there just more on this
> board who post about them.

This is total speculation on my part and in no way a statement of fact, but I do wonder if there isn't a connection with this uptick in accidents and the fact that both the CN and CP were Hunter Harrison's PSR railroads?  The hallmark of his philosophy is massive cost cutting and over working of assets (including employees); I have to wonder if this hasn't gone way too far to the point that its affecting the safe operations of the railroads with cutting too many corners to keep operating costs and ratios low.  In addition, it aggrevates me even more to see storys like below where these railroads are fighting to stop new regulations that have been implemented because of disasterious and deadly accidents.  Have the railroads now pushed the envelope too far?

It's true that this internet age allows much more information to travel further and faster, but I don't recall ever hearing about so many accidents as that which I have been reading about lately.  

Date: 03/09/19 13:49
Author: 4MORE

Another BELT PACK accident.

Date: 03/09/19 15:55
Author: Lackawanna484

4MORE Wrote:
> Another BELT PACK accident.

In Canada, do the engineers run belt pack RCO, or can conductors, hostlers, etc operate them as well?

Date: 03/09/19 18:02
Author: eminence_grise

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> 4MORE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Another BELT PACK accident.
>
> In Canada, do the engineers run belt pack RCO, or
> can conductors, hostlers, etc operate them as
> well?

Train service employees won the right to operate RCO in Canada in an arbitration case on CN around 1990.

However, since the late 1970's, engine service employees on CP and CN have come from the ranks of train service employees.

With the merging of the BLE and UTU into the Teamsters (TCRC) in the 2000's, many trade distinctions have vanished in Canada.

Date: 03/09/19 18:47

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> 4MORE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Another BELT PACK accident.
>
> In Canada, do the engineers run belt pack RCO, or
> can conductors, hostlers, etc operate them as
> well?

I was under the assumption that Hunter Harrison hated RCO and got rid of most of the RCO operations on CP?  Is that true, or maybe I'm thinking of that's what he did at CSX???

Date: 03/10/19 10:41
Author: inCHI

Well... is the good news in this case that no crews may have been hurt, because the DPU was unoccupied and the yard engines were also under RCO, rather than occupied? That said, do they really have someone on the ground running RCO, instead of in the cab, during winter? How long could you even be outside doing that?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds