Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Canadian Railroads > Miserable Alberta Monday's-Is It As Cold Up Front?

Date: 03/11/19 15:27
Miserable Alberta Monday's-Is It As Cold Up Front?
Author: arwye

December 23, 1978 and it is nasty outside as a late running NAR #32 exits Busby, 35 miles out of Dunvegan Yards and home. Having never worked the running trades I wonder who got the better deal heat wise. The boys up front in their GP9's or the tail end crew with their oil fired stove? Richard Yaremko

Date: 03/11/19 15:56
Re: Miserable Alberta Monday's-Is It As Cold Up Front?
Author: Blackfoot

I don't know who got the better deal - but I do know that is one nice picture.

Dwayne

Date: 03/11/19 21:47
Author: feclark

As good at trailing van shot as I've ever seen, for the curve and dip of the tracks, the NAR bay-window van, and the thin coat of snow plasted on the last box car, which makes the mood perfect. I'm guessing the caboose is better, because you can cook great food on the stove, so the smell is infinitely superior.
Fred

Date: 03/12/19 08:02
Author: KickingHorse

feclark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
..., the NAR bay-window van, ...

My maternal grandfather was an NAR conductor. I had a cousin that was a military brat who had grown up mostly in Ontario. I still recall being at a family gathering and my cousin asked our grandfather what it was like to ride in a "van". After a good cuff upside the head, he got told in no uncertain terms that they were "cabooses".

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds