Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday

Date: 03/11/19 08:37
MLW Monday
Author: moonliter

Here are my entries to today's edition of MLW Monday.

Photo 1:
National Harbour Board had a fleet of 5 MLW S-3s, all built in 1951.  One survives today at Exporail. Here we have 1005 waiting for her next assignment.  Two EMD SW1001s have were delivered the previous year, the MLW locomotives days are numbered.                  Port of Montréal  September 9th, 1977

Photo 2: 
In the seventies CP Rail's John Street roundhouse looked after the passenger power and all the switcher maintenance.  Here we have S-3 6544 built by MLW in 1955 waiting to be looked at. Notice that 6544 is equipped with a "Watchman" heater.
Toronto, ON    September 3rd, 1977

Photo 3:
Back in the late seventies one could ride a regular scheduled CN train to Niagara Falls, ON.  The power was a MLW product built in 1944.  Here we have U-1f 6060 departing Union Station Toronto for the Falls.    September 3rd, 1977

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/19 08:43 by moonliter.

Date: 03/11/19 10:08
Re: MLW Monday
Author: refarkas

Three great images. My favorite is your photo of CN 6060.
Thanks for sharing these.
Bob

Date: 03/11/19 12:24
Author: LTCerny

Re #3, what was the reason steam was being used on a reguarly scheduled train in 1977?

Date: 03/11/19 16:30
Author: hepc46

Excursion service. She would run Toronto to Niagara Falls, then turn at Niagara Falls and do a short excursion out to Yager (Near Welland), come back to the Falls, then return to Toronto. Here's a few from the Niagara Railway Museum Inc. Collection  (I'd have to count again, but i think we have about 300 or so pics of 6060 in excursion service here in Niagara), 6060 during a runby at Yager, then the schedule, and button for the final run from the Falls on July 19, 1980.  6060 used to run behind my house, saw her frequently.

Ken Jones
President - Niagara Railway Museum Inc.
www.nfrm.ca

Date: 03/11/19 19:47

Here are is a page from VIACN's system timetable of the day with the steam train listed along with the Railiner services to Niagara Falls, ON.

CN also issued flyers promoting their "Steam Excursions". I have only posted the English sides of my 1977 flyer.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/19 19:54 by moonliter.

Date: 03/11/19 20:01

hepc46 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excursion service. She would run Toronto to
> Niagara Falls, then turn at Niagara Falls and do a
> short excursion out to Yager (Near Welland), come
> back to the Falls, then return to Toronto. 
> Ken Jones
> President - Niagara Railway Museum Inc.

I do not remember a side trip to Yager offered when I rode in 1977 but I do see one offered in the 1978 flyer.  It cost an extra $5.00 to take this 2 1/4 hour trip.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 03/11/19 21:44
Author: feclark

What an imaginative collection for MLW Monday, Gerry. All three beauties, and 6060 a reminder of an opportunity missed. I hadn't quite connected the dots on 6060's midweek runs, so I shot it being turned at Spadina on a Tuesday, but was not out at Oakville the next day, when I could have shot this thing roaring through Oakville, if I'm not mistaken. You learn, sometimes.
Fre

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0542 seconds