Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday

Date: 04/08/19 01:32
MLW Monday
Author: hoggerdoug

A photo from Don Jaworski and posted with his permission, thanks Don..   Brand new, PGE 626 & 625 seen at the west end of Capreol, ON as they work their way west to the PGE in BC,  June 1965.

Doug

Date: 04/08/19 10:08
Re: MLW Monday
Author: moonliter

Nice photo, Doug.

How did this work?  Would have CN leased the power from PGE for the journey to BC?  Who would have paid the delivery charges from MLW to the PGE in light of the fact CN is using the power?  If something went wrong along the way did CN fix the problem or did MLW do the work under warranty?  Do you think that the train would have been combined in Capreol or at least have a CN engine placed on the point in order to protect the PGE locomotives from automobiles, moose or rocks?

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 04/08/19 10:47
Author: hoggerdoug

Gerry, to be quite honest I can't answer your question with any facts. In another email it was hinted by the photographer that the units were working their way west after delivery from MLW.  I suppose the delivering railway might work the units hauling revenue rather than charging freight rates to deliver them as cargo / merchandise. I have no idea what would happen if the locomotive failed en-route due to mechanical issues, that would most likely fall back on MLW. It could be a whole different story if the new locos were involved in an accident or derailment. Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable members on the forum might have some insight how new locomotives were charged for delivery etc. It is a long way from the MLW plant to the BCR North Vancouver yard.
Doug

Date: 04/10/19 06:19
Author: misty1

What model is this MLW?

Ed

Date: 04/10/19 08:10
Author: moonliter

misty1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What model is this MLW?
It is a RS-18, part of an order of 8 units (619-626) built by MLW in 1965.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0569 seconds