Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Canadian Railroads > First Wed. "Canadian" ex-Toronto

Date: 05/01/19 11:05
First Wed. "Canadian" ex-Toronto
Author: DrawingroomA

I should say the first scheduled Wed. departure since 1990. There have been many Wed. morning departures of train #1 which should have left the previous night. The train departed about 10 minutes late. The scheduled departure is 09:45, not 09:30 as shown in the paper and on-line timetables which were published last November.

This would normally be the first train of the season that would have a Sleeper Class Skyline car ahead of each of the two dining cars. I was surprised to see an ex-BCR Panorama car ahead of the first diner. That diner was one which normally runs on the Churchill train.

It being a rainy and windy day – more like November than May – my pictures are not of the quality one usually expects on this forum. But given the unusual consist I have attached two photos.

Date: 05/02/19 08:17
Re: First Wed. "Canadian" ex-Toronto
Author: viatrainrider

Very nice shots in even in spite of weather.  Interesting to see Churchill diner there as well as the Panorama.  When I was in Winnipeg recently was told they are using Skylines on Churchill.  All the better for wilderness viewing. 
On other post above yours, appears 3 - 4 are not Prestige trains Edmonton - Vancouver.
Thank for posting.  Hope your day is good.

Date: 05/02/19 08:23
Author: viatrainrider

Was this train summer conist with two diners?  My recent trip (which I will report on soon) had 15 - 17 cars and one diner.  Panorama is in the position of the usual sleeper Skyline.

Date: 05/02/19 11:31
Author: DrawingroomA

viatrainrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was this train summer conist with two diners?  My
> recent trip (which I will report on soon) had 15 -
> 17 cars and one diner.  Panorama is in the
> position of the usual sleeper Skyline.

Yes, there was a second diner with a Skyline car in front of it as usual. I didn't count the sleepers, but there were three ahead of the first diner and about five or six after it. After the second diner there was the usual crew Chateau sleeper, one Prestige Chateau and the Prestige Park car.

Date: 05/02/19 15:24
Author: jp1822

Interesting to have a Skyline on the Hudson Bay Line, but that’s actually a nice perk I think, and they have the grill if needed. Canadian is going to need as many diners as possible fro peak season, especially if one craps out. 

The Panorama cars are usually in Vancouver when not operating on the Canadian or train to Prince Rupert. Did the car happen to be in Toronto and just needed to be re-positioned back West? Or is it a new permanent fixture now east of Edmonton?

Now that the Canadian is two days a week, they could assign all three Panorama cars to the Canadian for the entire route and not switch it in/out at Edmonton any more. But it would come at the expense of the train to Prince Rupert in peak season...... I would hate to see the train to Prince Rupert lose the Panorama car for its premium service as it was a route that really was deserving of said cars (for meals and what not). Canadian already has its domes, seemed out of place on this route. Train 3 and 4 wouldn’t need a Panorama Car, but that train should be outfitted with Prestige Sleeper cars and Park Car. There’s enough to service it.

Time will tell I guess.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds