Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Canadian Railroads > I always liked that CN Railiner paint scheme!

Date: 05/02/19 01:24
I always liked that CN Railiner paint scheme!
Author: ghCBNS

I always liked that CN RDC paint scheme!

Sydney to Halifax Railiner at Truro NS in the mid '70s. Passengers connect here to the Ocean for Montreal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/19 01:39 by ghCBNS.

Date: 05/02/19 01:25
Re: I always liked that CN Railiner paint scheme!

Moncton NB July '75
Stellarton NS Jan '76

Date: 05/02/19 08:31
Author: gcm

Great RDC shots !
Gary

Date: 05/02/19 17:27
Author: krm152

Definitely like each and every one of your photos.
Thanks much for your post.
ALLEN

Date: 05/08/19 19:35
Author: prr4828

How long was the ride between endpoints? South one day, north the next?

Was there service to Yarmouth, too? Did it have connections with seaways from the US and the Ocean at Halifax?

I've long wished I could take a train from Yarmouth to Halifax and "points west". Born too late.

* JB *

Date: 05/09/19 18:52
Author: moonliter

prr4828 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How long was the ride between endpoints? South one
> day, north the next?

From the Oct 74 CNR tt:

It was 294.1 miles from Sydney to Halifax

> Was there service to Yarmouth, too?

No CN passenger service to Yarmouth in this time period but there was the Dominion Atlantic (CP Rail) RDC service to Yarmouth via Kentville and Digby, NS 

>Did it have connections with seaways from the US and the Ocean
>at Halifax?

I do not quite know what you mean by "seaways".
The eastbound RDCs from Halifax did not connect with the boats to Newfoundland but the conventional train did however the westbound RDCs to Halifax did make the connection with the boat.
Halifax to North Sidney conventional train - CN Ferry to Port aux Basques then CN Bus to St. John's..........St. John's to Port aux Basques CN Bus - CN Ferry to North Sidney, RDCs to Halifax.

The RDCs from Sydney connected with CN's westbound Ocean in Truro, NS, the eastbound Ocean connected with the conventional train to Sydney.  A connection was made with CN's eastbound Scotian at Truro if you wanted to ride the RDCs to Sydney.

There was a possible connection from Truro to Windsor, NS but this was not published in the timetables of the day.

It was also possible to leave Yarmouth riding DAR's RDCs and connect with CN's Sydney bound RDCs at Halifax.  The return trip was also possible but a longer wait time between trains.  The CN operated a ferry from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor, ME but a large gap between there and South Boston Station if one wanted to connect with rail.  I do not know if the was any bus services that connected with the ferry in Bar Harbor.

> I've long wished I could take a train from
> Yarmouth to Halifax and "points west". Born too
> late.

I'm sure we all were born to late!  I would have liked to have ridden the Kettle Valley from Vancouver to Medicine Hat, AB.  The MILW to the coast from Chicago, the boat and train from Toronto, Port Arthur to Winnipeg and so on.  I am happy for all that I have ridden here in North America and Europe and hope there are many miles ahead to ride.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 05/10/19 02:39

prr4828 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Was there service to Yarmouth, too? Did it have
> connections with seaways from the US......

If you go back to the 1920s and ‘30s....the Dominion Atlantic connected with the ships of the Eastern Steamship Line sailing overnight between New York, Boston and Yarmouth. A couple of named trains operated by the DAR were the ‘New Yorker’ and ‘Bluenose’

http://dardpi.ca/wiki/index.php?title=19370601-DARPTT

http://dardpi.ca/wiki/index.php?title=19290621-DARPTT

In more recent times......the DAR and later VIA ‘Dayliner’ connected with ferries between Portland and Bar Harbor, Maine and Yarmouth

>

Date: 05/10/19 02:41

>>

Date: 05/10/19 02:42

And up until last summer it was possible to leave Yarmouth in the morning on the ‘Cat’ Fast Ferry....connect in Portland to Amtrak’s ‘Downeaster’ and be in Boston in late afternoon. Starting this year the ‘Cat’ now goes to Bar Harbor instead of Portland.

https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/

Date: 05/10/19 02:45

The DAR also connected with the Saint John – Digby Ferry providing a through route between Montreal and Halifax. That route is still operated by 'Bay Ferries'

https://www.ferries.ca/nb-ns-ferry/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0841 seconds