Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Canadian Railroads > The Canadian 3 1/2 hours early at Vancouver


Date: 05/05/19 07:52
The Canadian 3 1/2 hours early at Vancouver
Author: DrawingroomA

A question was asked recently: has the new schedule improved the timekeeping of the Canadian? It can't be answered simply with a yes or no. Today, #1 arrived in Vancouver at 04:29. It had arrived in Jasper two hours late. The padding in the schedule is obviously helpful.



Date: 05/05/19 09:33
Re: The Canadian 3 1/2 hours early at Vancouver
Author: Marcus

The first edition of the new VIA#3 ( Edmonton to Vancouver ) was also early,
arrived Vancouver 06:50 on Saturday, 1 hour 10 minutes early.

 



Date: 05/05/19 18:49
Re: The Canadian 3 1/2 hours early at Vancouver
Author: andersonb109

Does VIA allow passengers to stay on board when arriving that early? 



Date: 05/05/19 20:16
Re: The Canadian 3 1/2 hours early at Vancouver
Author: jp1822

I am sure they allow passengers to stay onboard to some reasonable hour. However, less than 10 years ago, VIA could leave Jasper at 4 pm and be into Vancouver the next morning at 7:30 am. From Kamloops to Vancouver directional running should help. Jasper to Kamloops should also not be that much of an area where time is lost. Nonetheless, schedule and congestion and dispatching is completely unpredictable. 



Date: 05/06/19 04:40
Re: The Canadian 3 1/2 hours early at Vancouver
Author: DrawingroomA

Passengers have paid to be on board until 08:00. If the train arrives unexpectedly  in the middle of the night, as this one did, I doubt they will be evicted early without the continental breakfast they have paid for. It would not be known the night before what time the train will pull into Vancouver so this couldn't be prepared for. I doubt that the train crew would be banging on doors telling people to get off at 04:30. There is also the issue of station staff who would be home in bed at that hour.

Over the years I have arrived two hours early several times in Toronto, Winnipeg, Jasper and Vancouver. In Jasper we were told to leave early, but not immediately upon arrival. One time we arrived two hours early into Winnipeg w/b and we were not permitted to leave for a while because station staff were not yet on duty. One time heading east we arrived in Winnipeg two hours early and were invited to remain on board and have the dinner we were expecting. Another time when we arrived early in Vancouver passengers were advised to remain on board and have breakfast, awaiting station staff to come on duty.

 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/19 04:41 by DrawingroomA.



Date: 05/06/19 18:09
Re: The Canadian 3 1/2 hours early at Vancouver
Author: 4489

Funny I do not see anyone on this forum complaining about this!!!  How come???



Date: 05/06/19 20:41
Re: The Canadian 3 1/2 hours early at Vancouver
Author: thehighwayman

4489 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Funny I do not see anyone on this forum
> complaining about this!!!  How come???

It is mostly non-Canadians doing the complaining.
Few of us Canadians can afford to ride it.

 

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON



Date: 05/07/19 04:36
Re: The Canadian 3 1/2 hours early at Vancouver
Author: 4489

thehighwayman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4489 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Funny I do not see anyone on this forum
> > complaining about this!!!  How come???
>
> It is mostly non-Canadians doing the complaining.
> Few of us Canadians can afford to ride it.
>

Oh well I have enough VIA points to tide it for free, and believe it or not I am CANADIAN, with apologies to Molson's.

One particular person who consitantly commented on the Canadian's timekeeping rides it once a year BTW.  



Date: 05/07/19 06:52
Re: The Canadian 3 1/2 hours early at Vancouver
Author: thehighwayman

4489 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thehighwayman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 4489 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Funny I do not see anyone on this forum
> > > complaining about this!!!  How come???
> >
> > It is mostly non-Canadians doing the
> complaining.
> > Few of us Canadians can afford to ride it.
> >
>
> Oh well I have enough VIA points to tide it for
> free, and believe it or not I am CANADIAN, with
> apologies to Molson's.
>
> One particular person who consitantly commented on
> the Canadian's timekeeping rides it once a year
> BTW.  


But the major complainers are non-Canadian.

 

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON



Date: 05/07/19 08:25
Re: The Canadian 3 1/2 hours early at Vancouver
Author: 4489

thehighwayman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4489 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > thehighwayman Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > 4489 Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Funny I do not see anyone on this forum
> > > > complaining about this!!!  How come???
> > >
> > > It is mostly non-Canadians doing the
> > complaining.
> > > Few of us Canadians can afford to ride it.
> > >
> >
> > Oh well I have enough VIA points to tide it for
> > free, and believe it or not I am CANADIAN, with
> > apologies to Molson's.
> >
> > One particular person who consitantly commented
> on
> > the Canadian's timekeeping rides it once a year
> > BTW.  
>
>
> But the major complainers are non-Canadian.
>

Agreed.
>  



Date: 05/09/19 03:10
Re: The Canadian 3 1/2 hours early at Vancouver
Author: andersonb109

I've met many Canadian's on the train over the years. So obvioulsy some in this imporvised (sic) country can afford it. Sections are quite inexpensive if you don't mind the lack of privacy. Amtrak would never allow anyone to stay on board just because they have aid for the time and breakfast. Sunset Limited passengers have been known to get kicked off the train in LA even before any station services including the Metropolital Lounge are open.



Date: 05/09/19 06:05
Re: The Canadian 3 1/2 hours early at Vancouver
Author: 4489

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've met many Canadian's on the train over the
> years. So obvioulsy some in this imporvised (sic)
> country can afford it. Sections are quite
> inexpensive if you don't mind the lack of privacy.
> Amtrak would never allow anyone to stay on board
> just because they have aid for the time and
> breakfast. Sunset Limited passengers have been
> known to get kicked off the train in LA even
> before any station services including the
> Metropolital Lounge are open.

What in the world are you saying.  Are you calling Canada an impoverished country??? 



Date: 05/09/19 13:08
Re: The Canadian 3 1/2 hours early at Vancouver
Author: DrawingroomA

4489 Wrote:

> What in the world are you saying.  Are you
> calling Canada an impoverished country??? 

I interpret this as satire or humour.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0629 seconds