Home Open Account Help 162 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday

Date: 05/06/19 02:15
MLW Monday
Author: hoggerdoug

CP 6526, looking a little shabby. Image taken August 1980 somewhere in Toronto, ON.
Doug

Date: 05/06/19 10:01
Re: MLW Monday
Author: feclark

I remember that unit from trips in 1977 and 1978, looking just that shabby. The weathering effect is interesting, and would be a neat modelling challenge, with tuscan letters gone to reveal the yellow (or is it a yellowish primer?) below; same effect where the tuscan runs up to the grey, and is worn/faded off to reveal yellow.
Fred

Date: 05/06/19 11:42
Author: PHall

Somebody got a little too happy with the steam cleaner until they realized they were removing paint?

Date: 05/06/19 13:46
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Trip of a lifetime for this American-- to photograph my favorite MLW model just a few years ago.  And what a trip it was.  Great Western Railway train 778 ready to depart Shaunavon, SK.  This was one of the last runs before the MLWs entered "as needed" status, and were already offered for sale at the time.

Date: 05/06/19 15:34
Author: refarkas

Great photo - Everything in the photo balances nicely. 
Bob

Date: 05/07/19 06:04
Author: moonliter

Nice shot Doug,
I do remember seeing 6526 on my trips to Toronto in the late seventies.  Also of interest is the newer CN S-4 or possibly a S-7 hidden by the boxcar.  I enlarged the photo in order to catch the number and it looks like the 1st two digits read 81xx (S-4) rather than 82xx (S-7).  No matter, post 1955 MLW's S-4s had their number boards moved from the side of the unit (like 6526) to the front of the hood.  There were other changes to the car body but one can't tell because boxcar.

feclark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The weathering effect is
> interesting, and would be a neat modelling
> challenge, with tuscan letters gone to reveal the
> yellow (or is it a yellowish primer?) below; same
> effect where the tuscan runs up to the grey, and
> is worn/faded off to reveal yellow.

Fred, the yellow is not primer but faded yellow for the stripes and block "CANADIAN PACIFIC".   When painting the lighter colours are applied 1st.  The yellow was applied, the when it was dry the the yellow was masked for the stripes and a reverse stencil applied for the lettering.  Now the grey is applied and after it is dry, more masking and finally the darkest paint, the tuscan is applied.  After is dries the masking and stencils are removed.  On close inspection, the yellow would be two layers deeper than the tuscan and one layer deeper than the grey.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/19 06:16 by moonliter.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0324 seconds