Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Canadian Railroads > The 'Repton'...heading to Cape Breton in the '70s

Date: 05/07/19 02:22
The 'Repton'...heading to Cape Breton in the '70s
Author: ghCBNS

Back in the ‘70s…. I caught SR 926 ’Repton’ passing through the CN Yard at Stellarton, Nova Scotia on its way to a stint on the Cape Breton Steam Railway It was on lease from Steamtown USA at that time and is now back in the UK on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

https://www.nymr.co.uk/southern-railways-schools-4-4-0-no-30926-repton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/19 02:23 by ghCBNS.

Date: 05/07/19 09:04
Re: The 'Repton'...heading to Cape Breton in the '70s
Author: eminence_grise

Steamtown acquired several items from the UK in 1967, and they were unloaded from a ship and stored briefly at CP's Glen Roundhouse at Westmount QC. They were the "Repton", an M7 0-4-4 tank engine, and a Great Western Railway coach. The Repton and the coach were fully restored. This was the period where most of the Steamtown collection was stored outdoors, and a visit several years later showed the British equipment had weathered slightly. The M7 tank was unrestored, but had received a coat of primer. The was also a narrow guage Tralee and Dingle 2-6-2T from Ireland stored at the New Hampshire facility, along with a verticle boilered 0-4-0 from Sweden.

Decades later I saw the Irish engine in steam in Ireland. I don't know the fate of the GWR coach or the M7..

Date: 05/07/19 15:23
Author: hepc46

I've got a few slides of the Repton running on the S&L. 42 is the last of the S&L steam locomotives and is now stored out of sight at the Museum of Industry in Stellarton.  There are brand new boiler tubes sitting on the floor beside her. I believe she was set to undergo an overhaul before leaving the Salem & Hillsborough in New Brunswick, but now just sits in a warehouse in the company of  the bigger items in the Museum collection including a CN 0-6-0 #7260, a Plymouth, Vulcan and GM diesel, and a few wooden hopper cars.

Ken

Date: 05/07/19 15:46
Author: eminence_grise

I remember the Tibbets Paint collection in Stellarton in the 1960's and 70's, situated in a park like setting beside the highway.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.048 seconds