Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Canadian Railroads > Panorama Cars - On the Canadian and Prince Rupert Train?

Date: 05/14/19 20:19
Panorama Cars - On the Canadian and Prince Rupert Train?
Author: jp1822

So now that the Canadian is operating two days a week, and only three consist are required for Toronto to Vancouver service, are all three Panorama Cars now assigned to the Canadian end to end, OR is there still the swapping a Edmonton that goes on, in addition to train 3 / 4 that is stored at Edmonton. Seems like this could get a little complicated....... In this scenario, train 3 / 4 would not get a Panorama Car......if assigned to the end to end trains. 

OTOH, if all three Panorama Cars operate on the Toronto to Vancouver consists, the Prince Rupert train wouldn’t get a Panorama Car (our Touring Class) in peak season any more. 

Train 3 / 4 I think was supposed to operate with a Prestige sleeper and Park Car. Has that been restored, or is it still lacking? Can you book Prestige from Jasper to Vancouver now? I didn’t think VIA was “allowed” to offer Prestige between Jasper and Vancouver due to some issue with Rocky Mountaineer, but it can offer Prestige from Edmonton to Vancouver and vice versa. 

Date: 05/14/19 22:32
Re: Panorama Cars - On the Canadian and Prince Rupert Train?
Author: WP17

To make matters more confusing, VIA has just announced that the Panorama cars will be on the train to Churchill thrugh early November. No Park car this summer:-(

Check out https://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/trains/regional-trains/winnipeg-churchill

WP17

Date: 05/15/19 05:20
Author: DrawingroomA

It has been reported elsewhere that a Skyline car is being operated on the Churchill trains. At least one of the diners normally assigned to that train has been seen on the Canadian.

I don't know if all four of the diners being rebuilt are being worked on simultaneously, but for a while VIA was using a Skyline car as a diner on the HEP Ocean.

Date: 05/15/19 05:38
Author: jp1822

The Hudson Bay Train usually gets a Park Car dome during peak seasons. Not surprised to see this. 

Curious if the train to Prince Rupert will have a down grade with no Panorama Car for the summer! I never understood running the Panorama cars on the Canadian - got all kinds of domes! They made for such a great impression on touring class (Totem Deluxe) for the Skeena, train to Prince Rupert. One of my favorite trains with one of my favorite train cars.

WP17 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To make matters more confusing, VIA has just
> announced that the Panorama cars will be on the
> train to Churchill thrugh early November. No Park
> car this summer:-(
>
> Check
> out https://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destina
> tions/trains/regional-trains/winnipeg-churchill
>
> WP17

Date: 05/15/19 09:54
Author: WP17

thatguyonthetrain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't interpret "the panoramic dome" as "The
> Panorama Car".  I suspect Churchill will have
> Park cars (unstaffed).  That seems a lot more
> likely than pulling the Panorama cars off 1 &
> 2.  (I could understand if 3 & 4 don't have them
> since many of those people spend a couple days in
> the Rockies anyway.)
>
> I suspect the marketing peoples' first language is
> French.  On the French pages, "panoramique"
> refers to the Skyline/Park cars more often than
> the Panorama car – and the phrase "dôme
> panoramique" only appears with the Park car. 
> https://www.viarail.ca/fr/decouvrez-nos-destinatio
> ns/trains/rocheuses-et-pacifique/toronto-vancouver
> -le-canadien/voitures
>
> Either way, it's good news -- the trip's so much
> better with a lounge car.  So... belugas or
> bears?  Mosquitoes or frostbite?

Thanks for pointing that out. The web page does mention : Enjoy the panoramic dome

rather than explicitly mentioning the Panprama car. I'd certainly prefer a real dome -- Park car or even a skyline car.

Pwrhaps someone in the Winnipeg area can report what cars are running on the Churchill train

WP17

Date: 05/17/19 19:29
Author: viatrainrider

Well, as I previously posted, when in WPG recently, the Churchill train had a Skyline.  At that time, my VIA sources were unsure about the summer fall consist.  Hopefully, as in the past, there will be an ustaffed Park and on board chef during peak summer/fall seasons.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0444 seconds