Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA Rail "Skeena" trip this Fall

Date: 05/18/19 10:49
VIA Rail "Skeena" trip this Fall
Author: skidroe

I am planning on riding round trip Jasper-Prince Rupert this October. I will be driving up from Banff the day before.
Any hotel recommendations, for Jasper, Prince George , Prince Rupert ?
Does any hotels have a courtesy van to meet at the VIA Rail stations?
Will the "Skeena" be back to it's 2 car consist?

Date: 05/18/19 11:54
Re: VIA Rail "Skeena" trip this Fall
Author: rwullich

Several years ago I stayed right across the street from the depot in Jasper.  The hotel was the Whistler's inn.  It was clean, comfortable and convienent.  Jasper is a great town and everything is close by and walkable.

Roy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/19 11:54 by rwullich.

Date: 05/18/19 14:31
Author: eminence_grise

Prince George is a tough town, and the better hotels are several blocks from the Via station.

There are a variety of hotels , some of the big international chains within a modest taxi ride distance.
PG is on the Hart Highway 97, a branch of the Alaska Highway and many of the hotel/motels are along that highway in Prince George.

Date: 05/18/19 14:33
Author: WP17

We did the westbound trip last October with stays at the Marriott Courtyard in Prince George and the Crest Hotel in Pronce Rupert. Both of them were very good although not the cheapest hotels in town. The Marriott is about a 10 minute walk from the station while any hotel in Prince Rupert will require a cab ride. Neither hotel offered shuttle service.

WP17

Date: 05/18/19 20:46
Author: jp1822

Skeena will be a two car consist - Budd Stainless Steel Economy Coach and Park Car with its dome and lounges that you have access to off season. 

I can vouch for the Crest Hotel in Prince Rupert - the suites overlooking the Harbor are really nice! I actually looked up the prices and boy have they gone UP since I was last there around 2007! I think Prince Rupert has definitely seen a growth and prosperity since then! Best Halibut I ever had came from the dining room in that hotel - seafood was fresh off the boats that day!

Prince George, it's run of the mill. There's been a lot of new or rennovated hotels since I've been there in the 2000's. 

Jasper - it has always been the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, but there are some nice hotels there on the main drag into Jasper (where Whispers is). 

This route has never disappointed in scenery and is one of my favorite routes of all-time! 

Enjoy, and please post pictures of consist and the scenery!

Date: 05/19/19 11:29
Author: Chessie

When last in P.G. in December 2017 I stayed at the Riviera City Centre Inn, now the Econo Lodge City Centre Inn.  It was pretty basic but clean and did the job.  I'm not there for much other than sleep and a shower anyway.  Google Maps shows 1.1km to the VIA station or a 13 minute walk.  Tim Horton's, London Drug and some other conveniences nearby. 

Date: 05/21/19 08:26
Author: tsokolan

If you are planning on staying in Jasper BOOK NOW!! It's become very difficult to reserve a room in Jasper in the last few years due to an increase in visitors. Even the large booking compaines (Expedia, Booking.com etc) don't have a large selection of rooms in Jasper anymore, you are almost better to call a hotel to get a booking at a decent rate. I'd avoid the Jasper Park Lodge, since it is out of the townsite and requires a shuttle/taxi to get to and from. Almost all the accomidations in town are within walking distance to the station.

-Trevor

Date: 05/21/19 08:45
Author: ghCBNS

tsokolan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ............I'd avoid the Jasper Park Lodge,
> since it is out of the townsite and requires a
> shuttle/taxi to get to and from.

But it is a classic Canadian National Railway mountain resort and well worth a visit.

Canadian Pacific acquired it in the '80s and now it's a Fairmont.

https://www.fairmont.com/jasper/media/photos/

Date: 05/21/19 14:10
Author: eminence_grise

Jasper Park Lodge is unique among the Rocky Mountain Fairmonts in that is includes a central reception area and dining room with most of the accomodations in cottages and cabins, some dating from the 1920's, others from the 1960's. The central building dates from the 1950's after the 1920's log building was destroyed in a fire. Many famous people, movie stars and members of the British Royal family have stayed and played golf at the course which surrounds the Lodge.

Many of the cabins are not air conditioned and the rooms are small. Depending on the time of year, these cabins rent for $450 a night and the one I rented had faulty plumbing.

Reviews for JPL are either full of praise or complaining that the rooms are way too pricey.

The many hotels along Connaught Avenue offer a great range of accomodations and all are a fairly close to the Via station. The Whistlers Inn is just across from the station.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds