Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Canadian Railroads > Cool Sky

Date: 05/20/19 17:32
Cool Sky
Author: cn6218

Usually on an overcast day, I would try and compose a photo in order to minimize the sky.  But yesterday the sky was just too interesting as the Ocean rolled westward across the Tantramar Marsh at Aulac, NB.  I probably need to learn how to use "layers" in Photoshop to make this even better, but for now I'll settle for "interesting".

GTD

Date: 05/20/19 20:34
Re: Cool Sky
Author: jp1822

I think it is a great picture, of a great train! Didn't think I'd be seeing a full Budd trainset back on the Ocean and out in the Maritimes on a regular basis in late Spring heading into summer season!

Date: 05/21/19 09:44
Author: rbenko

Nice shot!!  Pushing it a bit towards HDR territory - more dramatic but a bit less "realistic":

Date: 05/21/19 09:49

rbenko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shot!!  Pushing it a bit towards HDR
> territory - 

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I had in mind.  Did you just use a one-button fix, or something more complicated to do that?

GTD

Date: 05/21/19 10:08
Author: rbenko

Well, really a two-button fix in one dialog box.  It's Photoshop's "Shadows/Highlights", where you can individually adjust shadows and highlights, as well as tone for each.  There are more controls on the dialog box (which I never really touch), but the two sliders are usually all you need. 

I try to use them sparingly - I don't like to make photos too unrealistic looking.  I think the minor tweaks I made to your fine photo is a nice balance - it brings out the trucks on the locomotive without being too garish, and makes the clouds more dramatic but still natural.

Date: 05/21/19 17:07

rbenko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, really a two-button fix in one dialog box.
>  It's Photoshop's "Shadows/Highlights", where you
> can individually adjust shadows and highlights, as
> well as tone for each.  

It's probably time I upgraded. 

That's not an option on the copy of Photoshop Elements II (that was bundled with my Canon Drebel in 2004) that I'm still using.

GTD

Date: 05/22/19 13:52
Author: DavidP

No Skyline on this version of the Ocean?  Does that mean no snack or bar service for coach passengers?

Dave

Date: 05/22/19 14:02

There hasn't been a Skyline for a couple weeks now (after having two Skylines in lieu of a diner for several weeks).  I heard something about there being snack space in the 3rd coach (an original CPR Budd), but I haven't been on the train myself to confirm that.  The diner was Empress, for those who keep track of that kind of thing.

In June the consist will add the usual Ren service-diner-service cars with a sleeper and transition cars to the middle of the consist.  I would assume that with 4 diners out for refurbishing, and more needed for the Canadian, they can't spare one for the Ocean any longer.  

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0493 seconds