Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Canadian Railroads > Tumbler Thursday

Date: 06/06/19 13:06
Tumbler Thursday
Author: hoggerdoug

A few images taken at Tumbler siding from May 1984 on the BC Rail Tumbler subdivision coal branch.  I was familiarizing on the Tumbler sub as having been recently recalled from an extensive layoff  since mid 1981. When I was laid off the Tumbler subdivision did not exist. Tumbler siding and the ground camp there was a very busy place at the time. The ground camp was temporary home for MoW, pusher crews and coal train crews. Quite often we would stop there for a meal in either direction and would take rest at the camp. Even though unit coal trains were being operated from the two mines, a lot of track construction was still taking place. There were several miles of mainline that were still restricted to 15 and 20 mph account the ballasting, lifting and lining had not been finished.

first image is at the north switch Tumbler siding looking south. Siding on the left and the wye on the right.
second image 752 in the back track with couple of electric locos.
third image looking north, two CN powered coal trains on the main and siding. 6004 was either swap out power or pusher power

Date: 06/06/19 13:08
Re: Tumbler Thursday

last image for now, 
6001 & 6004, most likely power for the pushers, taken at Tumbler siding May 1984
thanks for your paitience if these are reposts.
Doug

Date: 06/06/19 13:13
Author: perklocal

Nice look back. Were those last two shots at Tacheeda?

Date: 06/06/19 13:16

All shots at Tumbler siding and I would have been standing very near mile 61 except for the one at the north switch.
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/19 13:16 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 06/06/19 14:03
Author: E25

Interesting look-around at an operation that I never got to check out in person.  Thanks for yor post.

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 06/06/19 19:19
Author: railsmith

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A few images taken at Tumbler siding from May 1984
> on the BC Rail Tumbler subdivision coal branch.

> first image is at the north switch Tumbler siding
> looking south. Siding on the left and the wye on
> the right.

The wye was obliterated with the construction of the loadout for the new Wolverine Mine, which opened in the post-BC Rail era, shipping its first coal in October 2006.

Date: 06/06/19 19:50
Author: feclark

Neat stuff, and if it is a repost, it's from before the days I was on TO anyway.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds