Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Canadian Railroads > CN 100 Display - Next Stop: Halifax, NS

Date: 06/11/19 17:48
CN 100 Display - Next Stop: Halifax, NS
Author: cn6218

The CN 100th anniversary "train" (really just 23 containers loaded into two 5-pack well cars) arrived in Halifax Saturday morning behind 120's power.  In addition to the usual "foam" documenting the occasion, CN apparently hired at least one pro or semi-pro production company to shoot video of the event.  As I drove past the Rockingham yard office, I noticed somebody on the roof wearing a safety vest and holding a camera (I didn't notice any fall arrest protection).  Too bad it was the dark side of the train.

First two images here (on the sunny side) were taken at Millview, along the Bedford Basin, as 120 was nearing Rockingham yard.  The third is about two and a half hours later as the yard crew finally started shoving the intermodal cars towards the Halifax Intermodal Terminal pad.  The CN 100 containers were unloaded there and then trucked to a location near Pier 21 in downtown Halifax.  Although there is rail access there, there are no cranes for unloading containers, so I assume this was the easier way to get them set up.  I'm told for the display in Quebec City last week, the boxes were trucked all the way from Montreal, and then back again, before being placed on 120.

Yesterday, four cars from CN's business fleet arrived on 120 and later went downtown on their own wheels.  I haven't been there to see them yet, but will pay a visit sometime before the event on June 15th, and file a report then.

GTD

Date: 06/11/19 23:40
Re: CN 100 Display - Next Stop: Halifax, NS
Author: BoostedFridge

I guess they couldn't find any clean well cars

Date: 06/12/19 04:46
Author: ns1000

Those designs and colors on those containers.....wow.....??!!??!!

Be interesting to have in HO scale though.....

Date: 06/12/19 23:19
Author: Chooch

The cars look more like moving targets instead of shipping containers..

Jim
Hatboro, PA

Date: 06/13/19 12:08
Author: feclark

Chooch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The cars look more like moving targets instead of
> shipping containers..
>
> Jim
> Hatboro, PA

Maybe it's an anti-terrorist measure, the opposite of being targets. If you visualize how they painted some ships in WW II to throw off enemy perception, maybe that's the point. I'm not sure what the rationale is, really, and I doubt any corporate press release would be convincing. As to GTD's comment about the roof-top photographer, I am constantly amazed at lack of awareness of sunny side and sun angles, when there is an option.
Fred

Date: 06/13/19 14:19
Author: thehighwayman

They look a heck of a lot better than some of the recent locomotive paint schemes I have seen coming from one or two of the big railroads in the US ...

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds