Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Canadian Railroads > CN MLW C424's

Date: 07/05/19 14:44
CN MLW C424's
Author: eminence_grise

CN's had a small fleet of MLW Century 424 locomotives. 

The first two were delivered with headlights mounted above the front cab windows, and retained them throughout their service lives.The bell was mounted behind the cab on the engineers side.

The first image shows 3201 near Spadina yard in Toronto in 1975, leading an all MLW consist.

The second image shows a freshly painted CN C424 at Quebec Limoilou yard, trailed by two M420's. The third shows a slightly more weathered C424 with an M420 and another C424. In those days, there was a route from Quebec City to Riviere a Pierre which connected with the line to Arvida and Chicoutimi, and I think that these were the units for trains to Jonquiere and Arvida.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/19 16:24 by eminence_grise.

Date: 07/05/19 15:28
Re: CN MLW C424's
Author: stevelv

I've always liked how those units looked in CN paint.  Too bad the got of rid of them long before CP retired theirs.

Date: 07/05/19 15:52
Author: feclark

Nice post; the sandwich in the Spadina shot is lovely, and the knife-edge cab face sure looks good on the other pair.
Fred

Date: 07/05/19 16:17
Author: eminence_grise

stevelv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've always liked how those units looked in CN
> paint.  Too bad the got of rid of them long
> before CP retired theirs.

They were leased to BC Rail for a time, and later many were sold to NdeM

Date: 07/05/19 16:30
Author: CPR_4000

I seem to remember than the CN 424's had standard Alco-style notched rear noses with number boards, unlike CP's which had no notches and just a single backup light and no pilot. CP's were considered road freight units (until being rebuilt with dual backup lights, pilots, and a rear number board in the 80's) not intended to be operated in reverse. Did CN's have rear pilots and dual headlights as built?

Date: 07/05/19 17:09
Author: algoma11

The 424's were  nice looking units-great pics thanks

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 07/05/19 19:58
Author: feclark

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I seem to remember than the CN 424's had standard
> Alco-style notched rear noses with number boards,
> unlike CP's which had no notches and just a single
> backup light and no pilot. CP's were considered
> road freight units (until being rebuilt with dual
> backup lights, pilots, and a rear number board in
> the 80's) not intended to be operated in reverse.
> Did CN's have rear pilots and dual headlights as
> built?

CN's had dual vertical headlights between the notches. The CP models had a shallow end sheet/pilot that made it to the top of the draft gear, whereas CN's had a full-depth end sheet that went as low as the bottom of the steps, and below that were "hose baskets" [?] and then a footboard type of arrangement, no plows.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0437 seconds