Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday - Saskatchewan shortlines.

Date: 07/08/19 16:48
MLW Monday - Saskatchewan shortlines.
Author: BCR_766

Last week I decided to take a few days off, and with in conjunction with Canada Day, I decided to take a road trip to Saskatchewan with Tisdale being my home base. I knew the area has great shortlines with friends, TO, and The Government of Saskatchewan rail line map as my references. My main objective was to photograph the following shortlines Thunder Rail, Northern Lights Rail and Torch River Railway within my 4 day holiday, with 2 days driving to and from Edmonton and 2 solid days to chase and photograph motive power, as id need luck to catch them in operation. Day 1 of chasing had me up at 0530 to head west to Kinistino Saskatchewan to see if Northern Lights Railway was operating their MLW ex-Arnaud RS-18 chop nose. Sitting idle was #906 with approx 26 empty rock cars in front of the Kinistino elevators. (Pictures 1 & 2)

After waiting an hour or so, I figured this train was going to be sitting for a while so I headed north east to Arborfield to see if Thunder Rail was in operation. When I got to Arborfield I saw some employees working around the grounds so I asked if they had any units running.... to my luck and surprise their ex-Wabush Lake RS-18 had left to pick up some empties which were supposed to have been picked the prior week had CN had been on the ball. (Pictures 3)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/19 11:52 by BCR_766.

Date: 07/08/19 17:00
MLW Monday - Saskatchewan shortlines, Pt 2 with a little GMD too.
Author: BCR_766

To continue my little road trip...... Thunder Rail arrives at Zenon Park Saskatchewan to drop off empties at the elevator, and store some empty Poly cars. (Picture 1) To my surprise, the friendly crew also allowed me to ride from Zenon Park back to Arborfield. 

The following day i decided to sleep in and head up to Choiceland Saskatchewan to see if Torch River Railways ex-CN Rail GMD-1 was in view for photographing..... well, it seems like I was on a lucky roll!!! As I pulled into Choiceland, I saw the crossing lights active....upon arrival at the crossing, one of their switchman was clearing the crossing. I asked how far they were headed, and as luck would have it, they were headed to Nipawin Saskatchewan, here are the results upon arrival at Nipawins covetet ex-CPR road-rail bridge.... a miniature Edmonton High Level Bridge. (Picture 2 & 3) 
Thanks for looking,
Corey.

Date: 07/08/19 18:23
Re: MLW Monday - Saskatchewan shortlines, Pt 2 with a little GMD
Author: prr4828

Cool combination bridge! I really like Photo 3 ... be fun to drive that road ... and of course stop to photograph the trains.

* JB *

Date: 07/09/19 04:23
Author: refarkas

As your photos show, you had a great trip. You saved your best image for last.
Bob

Date: 07/09/19 05:17
Author: robj

The bridge shot is a winer.

Bob

Date: 07/09/19 13:01
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!  I like Pic 1!!

Date: 07/12/19 17:39
Re: MLW Monday - Saskatchewan shortlines.
Author: King_Coal

Nice series. Great catch on the bridge.

Date: 07/17/19 21:25
Re: MLW Monday - Saskatchewan shortlines.
Author: SD45X

SWEET!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds