Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA's Ocean Summer Train Consist

Date: 07/12/19 21:38
VIA's Ocean Summer Train Consist
Author: jp1822

Last time I asked if anyone had any recent pictures of VIA's Ocean train and people positively responded back - question asked, questioned answered with great success!!! 

With VIA running an all-Renaissance consist for one Ocean consist, and the other being a mixture of Budd and Renaissance cars (the Renaissance sleepers particularly being added to expand sleeper capacity on the "mixture train," does anyone have any recent pictures of either of these two consists running as the Ocean?

For the "mix" consist, VIA had a Renaissance diner - supported by the Renaissance service cars - and then various transition cars and a few sleepers to expand sleeper capacity for the six (or so) Budd Chateau sleepers that were in the consist. It was definitely interesting, but the idea was that VIA could add more Renaissance sleepers to keep up with demand if needed. Not sure if that happened or not, especially since the Renaissance cars are kinda permanently attached. 

VIA's had some interesting consists running this summer due to the Budd Diners being out and refurbished. Skyline Dome subbing for the Budd Diner that would normally be on the Hudson Bay train. Two out of the three Canadian consists (only) operating with the Panorama Cars (while the third Panorama Car is doing "Touring Class" duty up on the Prince Rupert train. The abbreviated Canadian running as #3 and #4 between Edmonton and Vancouver. And then the Ocean trainsets perhaps being the most unique due to a return of Budd cars to the Maritimes. 

Anyone have any interesting pictures, particularly of the Ocean, but perhaps of any others? 

Date: 07/13/19 03:29
Re: VIA's Ocean Summer Train Consist
Author: andersonb109

Somehow VIA manages to solve equipment issues and run expanded consists as needed. Amtrak, not so much.

Date: 07/13/19 09:37
Author: cn6218

For showing the whole consist of a 20+ car train, video seems to work better than stills.

I posted some video on June 22nd of the first hybrid Ocean at East Mines, NS:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4815685,4816441#msg-4816441

The first return trip was on June 7.  By June 16th, they had expanded the consist somewhat, as seen in this slow-speed roll-by at Birch Cove.  The train was going slowly because they had to meet 120 about a mile ahead at Millview.  With that open door on the first coach, I'm going to guess that the first car was deadheading, at least as far as Moncton.

GTD

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/15/19 02:08
Author: PRSL-recall

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Somehow VIA manages to solve equipment issues and
> run expanded consists as needed. Amtrak, not so
> much.
I think much having to do with it is that "where there's a will there's a way"! VIA's management appears to be on a much higher level. I believe they actually have an interest in the trains they run. 
The lack of it at Amtrak is appalling. I haven't ridden VIA since 2009 (10 years), on the OCEAN. However I am starting to look forward to the next time, though it may be the CANADIAN rather than the OCEAN. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds