Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Canadian Railroads > #2 Delays after Jasper?

Date: 07/14/19 11:28
#2 Delays after Jasper?
Author: WETSU

Does anyone know the reason for #2's chronic delays into Winnipeg?  Friday's train was an hour late leaving Jasper and it's now only at Wainright and more than 11 hours late.  

I'm taking the train Vancouver-Winnipeg in September and trying to figiure out if I need a hotel room for the night/morning of arrival.

Thanks.

Date: 07/14/19 12:04
Re: #2 Delays after Jasper?
Author: andersonb109

Known as the "black hole" it seems to be largely due to freight conjestion thanks to CN's incompetent dispatching and trying to run more trains than they have capacityfor.  And I forgot, not giving a dam about VIA or it's passengers who actullly have schedules to keep (unlke a load of coal, cars, grain, or God knows what else). 

Date: 07/14/19 13:09
Author: Locotrol2

Well Mr. Expert have you ever been a dispatcher (RTC)?

Do you understand track maintenance blocks for tie / steel gangs, or train planning etc?

Before you go spouting off with your attacks against CN about congestion maybe do a little research into what exactly might be happening out there.

Every day has its challenges in this industry and Via is just a piece of the puzzle when it comes to moving trains across the country.

And for the record I am in this industry.

Locotrol2

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Known as the "black hole" it seems to be largely
> due to freight conjestion thanks to CN's
> incompetent dispatching and trying to run more
> trains than they have capacityfor.  And I forgot,
> not giving a dam about VIA or it's passengers who
> actullly have schedules to keep (unlke a load of
> coal, cars, grain, or God knows what else). 

Posted from Android

Date: 07/14/19 17:13
Author: Streamliner

When we rode No. 2, in late April last year, we stopped within sight of the Winnipeg station and sat there for what I recall to be around two hours, with no explanation.  It was the last nail in the coffin of our abbreviated ride, which was supposed to end in Toronto, but being NINETEEN HOURS late into Winnipeg, we had had enough.  When we finally made it to the station, we left the train, booked a hotel room, went out for a fabulous steak dinner (Hy’s Steak House—HIGHLY recommended!) and waved goodbye to CN, VIA, whomever—it was more of a “salute”—as we flew home the next day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/19 18:35 by Streamliner.

Date: 07/14/19 18:45
Author: CarolVoss

We were several hours late into Winnipeg and because we were in Prestige class were on the reaar of the train and far from the station— I was hoping to meet Mark Perry, a railfan friend of mine there but couldnt get from the rear if the train to the station and didnt have his cell number— or he didnt have mine—- and we totally missed each other. Bad planning all the way around. ☹️
C

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 07/14/19 18:48
Author: 4489

andersonb109 Wrote:
> Known as the "black hole" it seems to be largely
> due to freight conjestion thanks to CN's
> incompetent dispatching and trying to run more
> trains than they have capacityfor.  And I forgot,
> not giving a dam about VIA or it's passengers who
> actullly have schedules to keep (unlke a load of
> coal, cars, grain, or God knows what else). 

Thanks goodness you chimed in.  I was afraid that you stopped sharing your expert opinions.

Oh and BTW all of CN was backed up due to washouts.  Guess that is CN's fault of course.

Date: 07/15/19 07:05
Author: viatrainrider

I find andersonb109 to be usually correct and in line with my experiences. Of course if there was flooding and washouts that ofcourse relates to this particular trip and understandable delays!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/16/19 05:22
Author: railsmith

WETSU Wrote:
> Does anyone know the reason for #2's chronic
> delays into Winnipeg?  Friday's train was an hour
> late leaving Jasper and it's now only at Wainright
> and more than 11 hours late.  
>
> I'm taking the train Vancouver-Winnipeg in
> September and trying to figiure out if I need a
> hotel room for the night/morning of arrival.

There is considerable trackwork going on across the Prairies this summer, including double-tracking projects, and there have been wildfires, especially in Alberta.

No. 2 has been consistently late departing Winnipeg both before and after the summer schedule took effect. In the current schedule, arrival is slated for 22:00, with departure at 23:30.

I've been tracking departure times from Winnipeg, and of the 22 eastbound trains since the new schedule began in late April, only three have departed before midnight. In contrast, 14 of those trains have departed after 03:00 the next morning.  It's worth noting that all but one of those 22 trains left Vancouver right on time or close to it.

I have not tracked arrival times, but the figures I've recorded suggest that Winnipeg arrival has often been well after midnight. You won't get much of a hotel stay for your money if you're checking in at 02:00.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/19 05:25 by railsmith.

Date: 07/16/19 15:39
Author: WETSU

I have been doing informally what you have done formally, but have reached the same conclusion.  My problem is that I don't know what we'd do with ourselves if we arrived in Winnipeg at 0300, for example.  Our flight out of Winnipeg isn't until 1700 the day after our scheduled arrival.  I suppose we could go out to the airport and try to get on an earleir flight.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0465 seconds