Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Canadian Railroads > TH&B Tuesday

Date: 07/16/19 15:25
TH&B Tuesday
Author: hoggerdoug

a few images taken over the years.  A wonderful website for more info about the TH&B is http://www.thbrailway.ca/

TH&B 63 at Aberdeen Yard January 1982
TH&B 70 at museum in Toronto August 1980
TH&B 80 at Aberdeen Yard April 1974

Date: 07/16/19 15:31
Re: TH&B Tuesday

TH&B 73 at Chatham Street roundhouse Oct 1978

TH&B 74 at GMDL "open house" Sept 1983. I would imagine it was to have been #71 painted up and displayed account being the first GP7 built in Canada. TH&B 71 was destroyed in a crossing accident.  Bruce Mercer photo.

TH&B 500 steam generator made from a steam loco tender.  Bruce Mercer photo.

Thanks for looking.
Doug

Date: 07/16/19 21:08
Author: CM80-46

Please share more if you can. I worked with several Electricians from the Hamilton area who had Grandfathers, Uncles or Fathers who worked for the TH&B. They were dumbfounded that I knew of the Railway.  “To Hell & Back”. Was it really that bad?  I have for many years had an intense inference in the Railway.
CM80.46

Date: 07/17/19 03:34
Author: refarkas

Thanks for posting these. 
Their steam generator car in photo six looks surprisingly streamlined compared to some others made from tenders.
Bob

Date: 07/17/19 08:24
Author: moonliter

CM80-46 wrote:
>
I worked with several Electricians from the Hamilton area who had Grandfathers, Uncles or Fathers who worked for the TH&B. They were dumbfounded that I knew of the Railway.  “To Hell & Back”. Was it really that bad?  

I'll let Doug answer the working for the TH&B part but they were I very nice railway to visit and always a fun and interesting ride to Buffalo.  A friend and I got the "royal tour" by a Mr Price back on Victoria Day weekend in 1977.  The only CPR power at the roundhouse were the units used on the "Starlight".

Bob, the tender is from ex-NYC Hudson 5313, ex-TH&B 502 bought in 1948 and scrapped in 1955.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/19 08:28 by moonliter.

Date: 07/17/19 09:20

The were numerous acronyms for the "TH&B".  Thumped Hammered & Bent,  Tired Human Beings, To Hell & Back, none of these really reflected properly of a great little railroad. It was a modest well run operation with dedicated employees and well kept locomotives and physical plant.
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/19 09:21 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 07/17/19 17:24
Author: hepc46

Great shot of #500. Here's a few from the Niagara Railway Museum Inc. collection. We also have the last TH&B gondola at our site in Fort Erie, #2676 (www.nfrm.ca) Included a pic of the wrecked #71 at CP Agincourt yard.

Ken Jones
Niagara Railway Museum Inc.
www.nfrm.ca

Date: 07/17/19 17:27
Author: hepc46

And heres a few more. TH&B 74 at Welland, the other 2 shots are Hamilton, Chatham St Yard.

Ken Jones
Niagara Railway Museum Inc.
www.nfrm.ca

Date: 07/19/19 12:26
Author: feclark

Yet another fascinating assortment of an attractive road. The steam generator is completely new to me, and an amazing piece, and the composition in that last vertical is fabulous.
Fred

Date: 07/21/19 08:24
Author: stanhunter

Nice to see the TH&B. My mother grew up in St Catharines and as a kid I would get her to take me by the roundhouse in Hamilton. Great little road. Thanks for the memories!

Stan Hunter
Fair Oaks CA

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0768 seconds