Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Canadian Railroads > Smokin' Sunday - Southbound RCP on the Leduc Sub Last Thursday

Date: 08/11/19 17:03
Smokin' Sunday - Southbound RCP on the Leduc Sub Last Thursday
Author: feclark

Thursday, August 8 was one of those days that falls in your lap, and makes up for all the times that weather or train delays or whatever stick it to you. I'd made a tentative long-range plan to get out with my usual road trip buddy to shoot, and this was a day I could take off, and the weather forecast was for maybe mostly sun, unlike the last three months in Edmonton. We often shoot CN, but a couple of recent day trips I'd taken had track work tying things up and making it less than fluid. So I proposed we shoot CP south out of Edmonton, because you can chase along Highway 2A. I haven't shot on this line since 2008, which makes me realize how time flies. When TJ picked me up, a bit after 0630, he told me a friend of his reported that the RCP had been in Edmonton the night before. Who knew what it would do this day? We didn't, and we still don't know the reason for the trip (anyone able to enlighten us?). As we headed south out of Edmonton, at 0652 he got word that the train had just cleared Leduc, headed south on the Leduc Sub. It was 16 miles ahead of us, and we were in trouble. The sun was coming up above a clearing cloud bank, and we had a decision to make. The 2 is a faster highway, but takes you well west of the tracks and that eats up your advantage, when you have to cut back in to the 2A. So we took the slower 2A (you have to slow down considerably at several towns), but eventually were rewarded south of Ponoka as we caught and overhauled the train.
1. Our decision was then made; make Morningside and park at the field next to the site of the old grain elevator. At 0811 we finally bagged the train, behind 1401, 4107, and 4106. The consist, for you consist freaks, comprised 13 cars, in order: generator/baggage #95, H.B. Bowen, Banffshire, N.R. Crump, Strathcona, Royal Wentworth, Craigellachie, Mount Stephen, Assiniboine, Sam Steele, Bonfield, Selkirk (the former SP dome car), and track inspection car Sandford Fleming. With the mix of cars, eight having six axles, the train totalled 80 axles.
2. Almost immediately the 2A and 2 merge, then soon split, so we ended up in chase mode toward Lacombe. Our best photo opportunity lay south of Lacombe, as it climbs past Jackson headed for Red Deer and the end of the Leduc Sub. We set up at a grade crossing, marked as MP 14.2. When was the train coming? Fortunately, 1401 was throwing smoke all day, and this was the teaser.
3. The sun was slightly diminished by the vestiges of the high cloud, so f9 instead of f11 got the desired result, as the RCP leaned into the curve on the climb. What a sight, and what a lucky call on our part to do this trip. We had no real advance idea that this was on the cards. Some days you do get lucky.
We ended up chasing all the way to Calgary, so the day gave us a total of 12 stops and 4 pacing opportunities, all in beautiful light, mostly uninterrupted sun. When I get things sorted (it takes me a while) I'll post up some of the Red Deer Sub action. We didn't know how long it was slated to hang around in Red Deer, so bypassed any remaining shots on the Leduc Sub to make sure we got where we wanted to be.
Fred

Date: 08/11/19 17:06
Re: Smokin' Sunday - Southbound RCP on the Leduc Sub Last Thursda
Author: King_Coal

Wow! Fantastic photos. Fine looking train.

Date: 08/11/19 18:03
Author: refarkas

Excellent.
Bob

Date: 08/11/19 19:20
Author: tsokolan

You did good out there Fred! The train did a loop from Calgary to Regina to Edmonton VIA Saskatoon and Wetaskawin. CEO and other execs were on board for a tour
Trevor

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/11/19 21:42
Author: krm152

Extra nice photo series.  Thanks for the posting.
ALLEN

Date: 08/12/19 09:04
Author: wag216

WOW! wag216

Date: 08/12/19 12:59
Author: Langleyrailfan

Like I always say, "you've got to be out there to get lucky".  Thanks for posting Fred! I cant' wait to see the rest of the series.  Cheers, Dave

Date: 08/12/19 13:48
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

Date: 08/12/19 16:24
Author: Charls

Stunning shots, just used one for my computer backdrop Thanks
C

Date: 08/13/19 08:04
Author: gcm

Great catch and photos !
Gary

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds