Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Canadian Railroads > Tuscan Tuesday - Southbound RCP on the Red Deer Sub Part 1

Date: 08/13/19 21:32
Tuscan Tuesday - Southbound RCP on the Red Deer Sub Part 1
Author: feclark

On Sunday I posted the first leg of lucky encounter with the RCP running southbound on the Leduc Sub, at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4846450. From Red Deer, it's the Red Deer Sub south to Calgary, and this is the first I'll post of the second leg of the chase.
1. We passed on Red Deer itself, worried about missing things, and set up on the 2A about MP 88, just south of the south switch Tuttle, because of this little bridge. At 0927 the train sailed through in nice sun, just slightly too long to fit in the frame, lens set at 24 mm.
2. I don't tend to take too many going-away shots of a full train, but the 13-car consist isn't just any train.
3. As we ran past the fringe of Penhold, we saw our third NB freight (none shot; RCP too important) of the morning. The objective was this curve (we remembered generically that there a few along this stretch), and set up at MP 81. This is my favourite of several from this location (gotta love a zoom lens), shot at 0945. This put us in a bit of a hole, because we had to hoof a little bit to the car, and our prime objective, Niobe, wasn't too far away.

Date: 08/13/19 21:45
Re: Tuscan Tuesday - Southbound RCP on the Red Deer Sub Part 1
Author: feclark

4. Of course, to get ahead you have to pass it, so I got the chance to take the pace shot. I didn't want to mess around with my settings to get a slow shutter speed, but it still worked at 1/500. Also lucky that the smoking locomotive was the leader, 1401. Coming up to Niobe, at 0948.
5. This elevator has long been a favourite of mine, and I'm always checking, when we're driving on the 2 to Calgary, to see if it's still standing. It is a classic, apparently Canada Malting Company Niobe South on the Google satellite image; you can see their more modern elevators in the distance. So at 0953, 1401, 4107, and 4106 rolled through, with some nice hay "bales" in place, and the rail head exposed rather than obscured by weeds and grasses. Just off camera to my left was a photographer and son [?] set up on a hay bale for stills, with a tripod rolling video on the ground beside. If you are that person, or know who that is and can connect them with me via a Private Message, I have a shot I think they'd appreciate! Speaking of shots to appreciate, a few years back tsokolan took a stunning howitzer telephoto shot of a NB RCP past this elevator. Any chance you can copy in the link, Trevor?
6. My buddy/wheel-man knew of a relatively open field in Innisfail, just 3 miles away. One way or another we managed to work through traffic and set up just before the grade crossing of the main street. The tracks swing west here, hurting the lighting, but it would be our last chance for a bit, as we had to get back on the 2 from the 2A and it seemed worth the effort to try. My coach is about to turn into a pumpkin, so that's all for now.
Fred

Date: 08/14/19 11:36
Author: tomstp

Classy looking train and engines.

Date: 08/14/19 20:56
Author: krm152

Great scenes!  Wish I had been there too.
Thanks for the posting.
ALLEN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0461 seconds