Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Canadian Railroads > Lifespan of the Gibraltar copper mine

Date: 09/08/19 21:56
Lifespan of the Gibraltar copper mine
Author: loleta

The website for the Gibralter, BC copper mine (https://www.tasekomines.com/properties/gibraltar) indicates a "mine life" of 21 years. If that life began in 2004 when the mine was restarted, that would mean the mine may have only another 6 or so years remaining. Am I understanding "mine life" correctly? The mine's closure would lead to a huge reduction in carloads south (and empties north) on the old BC Rail mainline; some days, trains 570/571 have copper concentrate cars and little else. With the closure of the mill at Chasm, BC, I suspect there are already those at CN who would like to get rid of the 200 miles of railroad between Squamish and Exeter. On the other hand, CN continues to hold onto the 250-mile Fort Nelson Sub., which sees only about two short trains per month, so perhaps the old BC Rail mainline won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

- L.F.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/19 21:57 by loleta.

Date: 09/09/19 07:16
Re: Lifespan of the Gibraltar copper mine
Author: greasemonkey

Not to worry, the 24 year mine life was as of the last project reassessment in 2015. They should have at least 20 more years, and quite likely more.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/09/19 09:06
Author: loleta

greasemonkey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to worry, the 24 year mine life was as of the
> last project reassessment in 2015. They should
> have at least 20 more years, and quite likely
> more.

That's good news, thanks for the information.
- L.F.

Date: 09/11/19 14:04
Author: MThopper

"Mine Life" is based on known ore deposits, that are economically recoverable at the time the "Mine Life" assessment is given. Projected changes in metals prices. changes in extraction techniques and cost of environmental compliance can have a major impact. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds