Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Canadian Railroads > Signs of Autumn

Date: 09/17/19 16:25
Signs of Autumn
Author: Ray_Murphy

Usually it’s a sunny day when a cloud comes out of nowhere just as the train arrives, but this past Sunday it was the reverse for me: a forecast “mix of sun and clouds” turned out to be just about 100% clouds except when this unidentified westbound VIA train (too early by over a half-hour to be #67) showed up crossing the Ottawa River at Dorion, Quebec.

Signs of autumn are visible in the photos, with the first maple leaves starting to turn.

But what is more interesting (and not apparent in the still photographs) is that for the first time anyone can remember, the river is running north at this location, from the St Lawrence River (to the south) into the Lake of Two Mountains. The extermely rainy summer in the midwest this year has put the water level of the Great Lakes at record heights, and the St Lawrence River here is now higher than the Ottawa River. Here’s a link to an article about the situation at nearby Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/rapids-of-ste-anne-de-bellevue-change-direction-turn-green

Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/19 16:26 by Ray_Murphy.

Date: 09/18/19 08:15
Re: Signs of Autumn
Author: 86235

Nice!

Date: 09/18/19 09:31
Author: robj

Nice photo, thanks for link. We were at a beach on lake Michigan and water was high, few years age you had to walk out on the sand.

Bob jordan

Posted from Android

Date: 09/18/19 11:01
Author: retcsxcfm

Signs of autumn in Florida,90 degrees and I
am swiming in my pool.

Uncle Joe
Just east of Tampa.

Date: 09/18/19 11:37
Author: hoggerdoug

I'm still waiting for summer !!!.
Doug

Date: 09/19/19 12:02
Author: tomstp

Hey Doug, the newspapers down south (US) are screaming about global warming as summer temps down here are 1 degree hotter than normal.

Date: 09/19/19 13:53
Author: ghCBNS

Here in the Maritimes we've had a pretty nice summer.....although we are getting frost tonight it will be sunny and 26C (78F) this weekend. Sunday should be a nice day to chase VIA's Ocean.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds