Home Open Account Help 402 users online

Canadian Railroads > "Mixed" Renaissance-Budd "Ocean" e/b 15 Sept. 2019

Date: 09/20/19 08:07
"Mixed" Renaissance-Budd "Ocean" e/b 15 Sept. 2019
Author: DrawingroomA

Our “group” was only six for the Montreal-Halifax trip this time: three couples. When we booked several months ago, this consist was all Renaissance (except the Park car and maybe a crew Château sleeper.) When it was converted to a mixed Budd-Ren. consist it was obvious that our sleeper assignments would have to be changed. Three of the six of us have mobility issues which rules out upper berths and the other three do not like them. The Park car “twin cabins for 2”, i.e. suite and the “large cabin for 2”, i.e. drawing room were sold out so six cabins for 2 at single occupancy were booked.

I was the first to receive a phone call from VIA advising that passengers who had booked Ren. cabins for single use would be given a refund of the modest single surcharge and re-accommodated in “cabins for 1”, i.e. roomettes. Before I could say we will cancel before we take Château roomettes the agent saw that two of us in adjacent cabins had the same last name and asked if we were travelling together. When I said yes she offered us a drawing room. I told her two other couples were travelling with us and the agent said she would look after them next. My wife goes with me on every second trip and I was glad this trip was in the right sequence. I would have cancelled if she was not with me as VIA was not going to honour the ticketing of single use in a cabin for 2 given how few double rooms are available in Château sleepers. I noticed, however, that when cabins for 2 were available closer to the travel date VIA would be more than willing to sell them to one at the higher supplement.

Two couples had taken #62 from Toronto and Oshawa to Montreal and one couple took #64 from Belleville. Those of us on #62 arrived in Montreal six minutes early. Number 64 was delayed four hours due to a “trespasser fatality” involving a freight train near Napanee. The connecting passengers were assured the Ocean would be held for them.  So four of us had the first sitting for dinner at 7:00 p.m. in the gloom of Central Station. This was not the first time we experienced this waiting for a delayed connection. I’m not complaining. This inevitable situation was handled well by the crew. The delayed couple had their dinner around 9:20 p.m. and the train departed at 9:25.

The Château sleepers are in need of some work. Some of them are quite shabby. Ours had received the same interiors refurbishment that the Manor sleepers did, namely the mustard and grey colour scheme.  The door to our drawing room would not click closed unless I slammed it hard. Getting it to lock was near impossible as the locking bolt was out of alignment. I finally succeeded by pressing on the door with my foot. Our lovely attendant said she would report it. This was not the only door with a problem. The door to the shower would not close, let alone lock. Struggling with it seemed unwise in case I got trapped inside and would have to push the alarm button. The shower room in the adjacent sleeper had a door which worked –as did the shower. One of our friends had a drawing room with the attractive pink wallpaper that VIA used in the rebuild of 1990-1992. It was peeling badly in many places, but the door worked.

Many of the passengers I spoke with or overheard were familiar with the Renaissance sleepers. Every one of them made it clear they were not happy with the older equipment. On boarding in Montreal I heard an elderly man exclaim to the attendant when he was shown to his lower roomette: “What is this?” He was not impressed when he was told it was his cabin. I overheard a woman say there was no way she could handle the bed in her upper duplex roomette. More than one passenger was asking why there was no shower in their cabin. Another passenger asked me about the lack of private shower and where was the key to lock her room. I’m sure the slightly wider beds in the Budd sleepers pleased the passengers, but there are aspects of the Ren. sleepers that many appreciate.

As the Ocean was about three and a quarter hours late approaching Moncton, St. Hubert chicken was ordered – with a salad alternative – for passengers to eat in their accommodations. VIA’s crew handled the late-running situation very well.

The “golf cart” that is normally available to assist passengers in Halifax was broken. The service manager had told the attendants that only those who cannot walk would be assisted with one of the few wheelchairs. The three in our group who would normally have a ride managed the long walk (past as many as 17 cars and two locomotives) with some pain and discomfort, but there were several passengers with greater needs who were eventually given a ride to the station.

Date: 09/20/19 08:27
Re: "Mixed" Renaissance-Budd "Ocean" e/b 15 Sept. 2019
Author: WP17

Thanks for the insight on the condition of the Chateau cars and how the general riding public appreciate many of the features/benefits of a Ren sleeper. Those of us who are hard core fans often see things differently so another point of view is appreciated.

BTW the Chateau equipment on our CHurchill train last week was in much better condttion than what you experienced. The only issue with our bedroom was that the grill on the fan came flying off when we turned the fan on.

WP17

Date: 09/22/19 12:18
Author: viatrainrider

Thanks DrawingroomA for the report.  Feel it is quite a  good thing when you end up in Drawing Room A!

Date: 09/22/19 19:58
Author: gaspeamtrak

Yes your report about the condition of the "Chateau" sleepers was right on when I made my trip in July I think.
Overall the crews are excellent !!!
Thank you for sharing !!! :):):)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0776 seconds