Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Canadian Railroads > SCL Saturday

Date: 11/02/19 10:21
SCL Saturday
Author: hoggerdoug

Couple images of SCL 8501 at CN Calder Diesel Shop, Edmonton Alberta. Images were taken January or February 1984 a gray overcast winter afternoon.. Info I got elsewhere is that CN borrowed SCL 8500 & 8501 SD50's to try them out for 30 days. In exchange CN loaned SCL 3 SD40's. The units were mainly used / tested between Edmonton and Vancouver.
Doug

Date: 11/02/19 15:48
Re: SCL Saturday
Author: moonliter

I guess the tests worked out as CN ordered 60 units from GMDD, all with full width bodies (Draper Taper).  That being said, all the SD50Fs were retired by 2007 and in their 20 year life-span they were derated from 3600 hp to 3200 hp, their 70 mph gearing restricted to 65 mph. 

Doug, did you ever get the chance to operate them, if so what were your impressions?

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 11/02/19 22:07
Author: CCMF

I remember those demos well, but they were SBD never SCL.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 11/03/19 03:21
Author: hoggerdoug

"I remember those demos well, but they were SBD never SCL."  okay I stand corrected, SCL was bit of a mind cramp.

"Doug, did you ever get the chance to operate them, if so what were your impressions?"   Not sure if any SD50's strayed over on the BC Rail side, if I did run one I can't recall.  Sure like the Whisper Cab we had once in a while.

Doug 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds