Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Canadian Railroads > ONR shop, North Bay

Date: 11/04/19 06:48
ONR shop, North Bay
Author: briancdn

Ontario Northland's shop complex was one of the cleanest and best maintained shops I've seen. Not sure when it was built; but looks new in these views taken in 1976. A modeller's dream!

Brian N.

Date: 11/04/19 07:50
Re: ONR shop, North Bay
Author: moonliter

Nice shots Brian.  

The shop open in October 27, 1953, the year the ONR dieselized.  The turntable is from steam days but was moved from its original location after the round house was torn down.  The car repair shop (on left) was built on the former location of the roundhouse.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 11/04/19 09:39
Author: TCnR

In 2009 I was able to photograph around North Bay and can recognize the general features of the yard, but I still have a tough time figuring out where I was and what the landmark buildings are. There was quite a bit of construction going on in town and they seem to have torn out some of the older RR tracks and built an overpass or two. They also developed a RR Museum or collection that is over by the Lake, Google shows a circle of track and other basics. I think anybody visiting the scene after a number of years would be impressed with the line of about 6 story modern glass and brick buildings along the north side of the RR properties.

Interesting area. t4p.

Date: 11/04/19 11:45

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In 2009 I was able to photograph around North Bay
> and can recognize the general features of the
> yard, but I still have a tough time figuring out
> where I was and what the landmark buildings are.
> There was quite a bit of construction going on in
> town and they seem to have torn out some of the
> older RR tracks and built an overpass or two. They
> also developed a RR Museum or collection that is
> over by the Lake, Google shows a circle of track
> and other basics. I think anybody visiting the
> scene after a number of years would be impressed
> with the line of about 6 story modern glass and
> brick buildings along the north side of the RR
> properties.

The photo is taken from the Main St. East looking southeast, on the far right is CPR's North Bay sub now operated Ottawa Valley Railway.  The ONR connects with the CPR here, and at one time used the former CPR station.  The station is now the North Bay Museum and the lands south of the building were once the CPR yard and engine house.  It has been transformed into a park and with access to the lake front with a parkway running through it.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 11/04/19 13:04
Author: refarkas

These overhead photos are impressive.
Bob

Date: 11/04/19 13:15

Thanks for posting the older map it puts it into perspective now. Looks like I was one RR yard to the west and not on the Main St bridge at all. The Google Images from last year also show the construction having been completed and the Museum building and grounds. The building seemed to be a long way from a railroad at the time, I had not included my photo of it in my gallery as I didn't know what it was (like that ever stopped me before). Hoping to add to the story and not hijack it, attached is my photo looking east. Agree it's a model builders delight.

Google also shows the TEE train cars and the Steam Engine in a storage yard, much better than during my visit.

https://pbase.com/clivew/sudbury_day_trips

Date: 11/04/19 19:18
Author: EL833

Nice photos, been on that bridge a few times myself back in the late 70s. I wouldn't even recognize the place these days from what everyone is saying. Maybe I'll try a visit next year to retrace my footsteps. Also, we use to get a release to roam the shop area- and that included poking our heads in the buildings. Just no climbing on anything. Those days are history...

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 11/04/19 20:21

Here's the CP Station in 2009 as it was being rebuilt for use as a Museum, the area was being graded before a parking lot was built. I would think this area was covered with tracks for a typical passenger station of the day. Thanks for the background info and map.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/19 20:22 by TCnR.

Date: 11/04/19 22:18

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's the CP Station in 2009 as it was being
> rebuilt for use as a Museum, the area was being
> graded before a parking lot was built. I would
> think this area was covered with tracks for a
> typical passenger station of the day. Thanks for
> the background info and map.

Here is how things looked at the station back on July 9, 1977.  My train back to Ottawa has just arrived.  CP Rail No.2, Noth Bay ON

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 11/04/19 22:38

Very interesting. Also interesting that the train was heading to Ottawa, quite a few changes.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/19 22:41 by TCnR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds