Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP Canadian Behind Geeps at Bells Junction

Date: 11/24/19 20:35
CP Canadian Behind Geeps at Bells Junction
Author: feclark

I had these shots scanned already when I made yesterday's post at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4908053, showing the CN/VIA Supercontinental coming up to Bells Junction. In his excellent additions to the post, moonlighter (Gerry Gaugl) mentioned a Francon operation in the area. It turns out it shows up in the first of these photos, taken on Sunday, April 17, 1977. Operating on a tip from a reliable source (LBC), I knew CP's EB Canadian was running behind a pair of GP9s with no F in sight. I didn't drive at the time, so took the bus out to Bells Corners and hiked west to a point close to Moodie Drive.
1. The first shot shows #2 just having crossed Moodie Drive, at 1755, behind 8510 and 8522; the consist almost certainly was six cars, including baggage, Skyline, and Park cars. The tracks are NE/SW at this point, so the afternoon glint light works; the train is on the easternmost part of the Carleton Place Sub, about to curve up to Bells Junction and CN's Beachburg Sub. In the left background, on the west side of Moodie Drive, is the Francon operation Gerry referred to. I remember this being served by CP on Wednesdays, with a turn out of Walkley Yard, in 1975. At the time, my first year of railfanning, I was shooting 127 film on a lousy Kodak Brownie; I haven't figured out how to scan those negs as they don't fit the scanner insert, plus they're not the best. This operation was gone by 1976, when I had a Pentax 35mm.
2. Just a closer shot of these beauties in 5" stripes.
3. The going-away shot gives you a look at the Steenbakker's Lumber operation that was my vantage point in yesterday's post. Over time I'll probably get around to scanning and posting more of my shots from this area. The Tri-X was a bit grainy, to be sure.
Fred

Date: 11/24/19 20:37
Re: CP Canadian Behind Geeps at Bells Junction
Author: 3rdswitch

Very unique (to ME) as I have never seen torpedo boat geeps WITH dynamic brakes. Nice catches.
JB

Date: 11/24/19 20:53
Author: King_Coal

Great catch. I associate the GP9 passenger units with the west end of the run. Even a barrel headlight on the leader at this late date. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 11/25/19 03:08
Author: refarkas

First-rate black and white images.
Bob

Date: 11/26/19 14:41
Author: BuddPullman

Excellent Views! Thank you for posting.

My trip in March of 1975 had at least one or two F units from Toronto to Calgary, with an Alco for some segments.  From Calgary westward to the west coast, two GP9s were in charge; one in CP action red scheme and one gray and maroon still in Canadian Pacific paint.

Date: 12/01/19 15:28
Author: SD45X

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very unique (to ME) as I have never seen torpedo
> boat geeps WITH dynamic brakes. Nice catches.
> JB

Ditto!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds