Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday - Trio of CN C-424s, Old Noodle

Date: 11/25/19 19:57
MLW Monday - Trio of CN C-424s, Old Noodle
Author: feclark

Last week, briancdn posted up some CN C-424 shots at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4904703, and asked if anyone had shots of a trio of these things. Your wish is my command, or at least, I could remember this and knew where to look.
1. On June 17, 1978, a matched trio in the original (for them) noodle scheme crawls up to the diamond at Snider, just east of MacMillan Yard in Toronto. The single track is the Newmarket Sub. The units are 3236, 3223, and 3201, in charge of 74 WB cars of mixed freight, dominated by boxes and gondolas, at 1350. I was set up here for the telephoto vertical at the signal gantry, obviously not knowing what was coming. This was an inexpensive Soligor 135 mm telephoto, with skylight filter, so I got the internal reflections of the headlights. Sorry, I didn't take the time to "photoshop" them out.
2. A hasty back-step, and barely fit the trio into this second photo. With a standard lens, this would have been an easy bag shot. Notice the Snider station board.
3. The going-away shot is normally a loser, and this one isn't much above standard, but when the hogger notched them out to tackle the grade for the flyover of the western line to Mac Yard, I had to shoot this. All three contributing to Toronto's clean air. Not sunny shots, not the best compositions, but I'll never see this again.
Fred

Date: 11/25/19 21:14
Re: MLW Monday - Trio of CN C-424s, Old Noodle
Author: TCnR

All three are worthy images, I like #3 with the smoke emphasis along the roofline. Separates the vague grey of the sky with the action subject. Great example of the iconic CN combo door boxcar as well.
t4p.

Date: 11/26/19 07:11
Author: briancdn

Fantastic shots; thanks for posting. I never saw a trio of them in action; at most two and usually mid train with other power.

Brian N.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/19 08:37 by briancdn.

Date: 11/28/19 18:57
Author: chrisk_yyz

Thanks for sharing. Do you remember if this train was WB or EB?

Date: 11/28/19 22:05
Author: feclark

chrisk_yyz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing. Do you remember if this train
> was WB or EB?

Sorry for assumptions in my post; it's WB, crossing Snider on the east side of Mamillan Yard, then climbing to enter the yard.
Fred

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/21 10:36 by feclark.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds