Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Canadian Railroads > Forty Friday - I Scare Myself in Bells Corners

Date: 11/29/19 19:09
Forty Friday - I Scare Myself in Bells Corners
Author: feclark

The title reference is to a great song by Dan Hicks and his Acoustic Warriors, "I Scare Myself"; a great tune to check out. Anyway, this shot is from April 17, 1977, at 1625, just west of Bells Junction to the west of Ottawa. A good train to shoot was CN #307, Montreal to Symington in Winnipeg, I think, that ran mid to late afternoon out of Ottawa. So it would run into the sun. The train has just gone over Moodie Drive, and I had decided to climb up onto the platform at a signal mast to get the shot. The signal was standing, and not nicked, so the train would surely clear it, right? Well, this is the only time I did this; the sensation was unique in my experience. Two GP40-2L(W), 9472 and unrecorded sister, plus 83 cars comprising boxes and gondolas, whooshing by at over 30 mph got my attention.
Fred

Date: 11/30/19 03:11
Re: Forty Friday - I Scare Myself in Bells Corners
Author: hoggerdoug

Good shot and you certainly had the attention of the crew.
Doug

Date: 11/30/19 06:47
Author: refarkas

Thanks for this different view. That woosh of air as the train passed must have been frightening.
Bob

Date: 11/30/19 10:51
Author: TCnR

A freind did a Super 8 mm clip of a WP train passing at speed from the platform of a signal. Wasn't a very long clip and wasn't repeated but it did make a Charles Smiley Video and the highlights reel.
t4p.

Date: 11/30/19 23:35
Author: railsmith

Speaking of Dan Hicks and trains, how about "Waitin' for the 103"?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds