Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Canadian Railroads > Kodachrome Scan Sunday

Date: 01/05/20 19:16
Kodachrome Scan Sunday
Author: cn6218

The Kodachrome scanning continues, this time with some K25 from 2001.

On February 8th, the Ocean was on time for Halifax as they left Shubenacadie behind, near mile 29 of the Bedford Sub.  The train was at its minimal low season consist of only 9 cars, but at least there were still two domes (unlike today).  

In the going-away shot, they have a clear signal to Milford, on the other side of the hill in the background.

GTD

Date: 01/05/20 19:35
Re: Kodachrome Scan Sunday
Author: King_Coal

Nice photo of a nice looking train. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 01/05/20 19:47
Author: robj

Very nice, Thanks.

Bob

Date: 01/06/20 04:33
Author: refarkas

First-rate photos. You chose your locations well.
Bob

Date: 01/06/20 05:36
Author: gcm

Kodachrome was hanging in there - great shots.
Gary

Date: 01/06/20 09:05

refarkas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
 You chose your locations well.

I had some good instruction early in my rail fanning "career".  Now that I'm an old retired guy, I'm trying to pass it on to others just starting. :-)

GTD

Date: 01/06/20 09:50
Author: jp1822

With three Chateau sleepers running and the Park Car - that's still 101 berths for sale. TWO Viewliner sleepers = 60 berths for sale. THREE Viewliner sleepers = 90 berths for sale. VIA still wins out! That's a difference of 41 more berths that VIA's offering or 11 berths. The Ocean would be more aligned with Amtrak's single level East Coast Overnight LD trains.

Some of these berths will just be for staff - but for VIA and Amtrak alike! I don't think people realize that even an off season Ocean would be equivalent to a peak period East Coast Overnight LD Viewliner Sleeper based train. 

Date: 01/06/20 21:33
Author: jp1822

These are great pictures of a great train!!!! Thanks for posting! 

This was one of the first trains I ever took in Canada - The Ocean from Montreal to Halifax - and the journey was really made special when "Easterly Class" debutted coupled with the continued operation of the ex-CP stainless steel Budd equipment from the 1950s. To think that about 15 years ago the Renaissance fleet took over from the Budd's - three Renaissance consists were outfitted for the Ocean so it could continue to operate six days a week. Now, 2020 is likely going to be the last year we see the Renaissance equipment in long distance Maritime service as VIA looks to retire the fleet. With the Canadian contuing twice a week service year-round (three times in peak season from Edmonton to Vancouver), the Canadian will shift the Chateau sleepers back to Maritime service for the Ocean, which will only increase demand for sleepers and likely drive up the cost,as the economics of supply and demand will be in full swing. One thought - to maximize sleeper utilization and "supply" - was for somehow have the sleepers running eastbond turn back at Moncton and added to the westbound Ocean. They'd have to be set to be same day operation of east-west through Moncton, and there's only a four hour layover between the trains. 

But this is likely a scene that we will be seeing again in the Maritimes! Park Car, Skyline and Diner. 

Date: 01/09/20 21:38
Author: AndyBrown

It's interesting to compare this photo with a current view from that overpass via Google street view.  I see the rampant, unchecked growth of brush is not just a US thing!

Where is the wye located that you mentioned in the past had been used to turn the Ocean when the HOT loop track was not available?

Andy

Date: 01/10/20 05:15

Yes, about the only angle available these days is straight overhead from the overpass, because of all the trees.

The wye was loacted about 23 miles closer to Halifax, at Windsor Jct.  It's still there, but disconnected from the main line.  An access road to a new subdivision has also been built across the third leg, meaning a whole passenger train couldn't be turned even if it was still connected to the main line.  Google Earth will still give you a good view of it.  The two connections to the Bedford sub were at mile 16.0 and 15.7.  The Dartmouth Sub takes off at about 15.5.

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds