Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Canadian Railroads > GO 505


Date: 01/11/20 01:05
GO 505
Author: refarkas

GO 505 is in Toronto on August 15, 1982.
Bob




Date: 01/11/20 08:18
Re: GO 505
Author: ErieMain

That's one long GP-40...definitely appears to be longer than the NJT GP40PH-2's I'm more accustomed to. Is there any significant mechanical difference between the two that results in the extra length?

Posted from iPhone



Date: 01/11/20 09:13
Re: GO 505
Author: briancdn

ErieMain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's one long GP-40...definitely appears to be
> longer than the NJT GP40PH-2's I'm more accustomed
> to. Is there any significant mechanical difference
> between the two that results in the extra length?
>
> Posted from iPhone

It's built on an SD40 frame which gives it the length. I don't think any other commuter GP40's were this long. Makes for a very interesting unit!

Brian N.



Date: 01/11/20 11:15
Re: GO 505
Author: thb401




Date: 01/11/20 21:07
Re: GO 505
Author: krm152

Very nice roster photo on #505 working for its original owner.  Only eight of the model were built.
Thanks for the interesting photo post.
ALLEN



Date: 01/12/20 12:44
Re: GO 505
Author: CM80-46

Then Amtrak acquired some or all of them?

CM80.46



Date: 01/12/20 13:50
Re: GO 505
Author: feclark

I am really enjoying your crisp roster B&W posts, Bob! Are these B&W scans of slides, or true B&W negs? And if the latter, did you use any filters (red, yellow, whatever) when you shot them? They are so darned clean and have real pop.
Fred



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/20 13:50 by feclark.



Date: 01/12/20 15:37
Re: GO 505
Author: PHall

CM80-46 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then Amtrak acquired some or all of them?
>
> CM80.46

Amtrak got all eight of them. Have since been rebuilt minus the turbos but they still have their HEP gensets.



Date: 01/14/20 15:26
Re: GO 505
Author: zorz

This is the GP40TC, which is a non -2 variant that was built specifically for GO to accomodate head end power. Amtrak picked them all up and supposedly they're rebuilt now by NS as GP38H-3's for downeaster recovery among other things.

briancdn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ErieMain Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That's one long GP-40...definitely appears to
> be
> > longer than the NJT GP40PH-2's I'm more
> accustomed
> > to. Is there any significant mechanical
> difference
> > between the two that results in the extra
> length?
> >
> > Posted from iPhone
>
> It's built on an SD40 frame which gives it the
> length. I don't think any other commuter GP40's
> were this long. Makes for a very interesting
> unit!
>
> Brian N.



Date: 01/15/20 09:38
Re: GO 505
Author: PHall

zorz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the GP40TC, which is a non -2 variant that
> was built specifically for GO to accomodate head
> end power. Amtrak picked them all up and
> supposedly they're rebuilt now by NS as GP38H-3's
> for downeaster recovery among other things.
>

Kind of the GMD version of the GE P32BWH and how they're used today.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds