Home Open Account Help 393 users online

Canadian Railroads > The WHRC Corporate Image (continued)

Date: 01/16/20 09:42
The WHRC Corporate Image (continued)
Author: cn6218

I searched my digital archives, and only came up with two pictures featuring WHRC 5747, the former Dayniter.  The passenger excursions hadn't run for a few years at this point (September, 2007), and the coach was parked on a short spur by the office in Windsor.  The official reason for the excursions ending was that the car needed new batteries, but I suspect the track west of Hantsport was not up to the standards needed to carry passengers.  

The car was named Father Felician on one side, and Pere Felician on the other.  I believe that was a character from Longfellow's Evangeline.  For a number of years the name was erroneously reported as "Pere Pelican" in the Trackside Guide. The Grand Pre park and monument were regular stops on the excursions between Windsor and Wolfville.  WHRC 5747 had a long history before it arrived on the property in 1996.  Built as Erie 10-6 sleeper Marvin Kent in 1949, it went to E-L in 1960, then CN Elbow River in 1966, VIA in 1978, and it looks like it was rebuilt into Dayniter 5747 later that same year.

GTD

Date: 01/16/20 10:48
Re: The WHRC Corporate Image (continued)
Author: ctjacks

In what province is this located?

Date: 01/16/20 10:53
Author: cn6218

ctjacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In what province is this located?

Sorry, I usually try to include the geographic information in my posts, but I slipped up this time (and the one two days ago).

It's in Nova Scotia.

GTD

Date: 01/16/20 15:16
Author: BuddPullman

Good to see and historically interesting.  Thank you for sharing!

Date: 01/17/20 13:58
Author: EL833

cn6218 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
   Built as Erie 10-6 sleeper Marvin Kent in 1949, it went to E-L in 1960, then
> CN Elbow River in 1966, VIA in 1978, and it looks
> like it was rebuilt into Dayniter 5747 later that
> same year.
> GTD
Thanks for these photos. Seeing as it's a former Erie car, let's play "what if?" Let's assume that the Erie Lackawanna kept operating passenger trains and there was no Amtrak created. Would there be a possibility that they would have updated their passenger car scheme to mimic the "reverse" paint scheme the cabooses got in the last few years of it's existance ? On the car above, just add another yellow stripe above the gray band and there you have it. And BTW, we have a "Marvin Kent" passenger coach in Kent, Ohio (named after him) next to the old A&GW depot, but it's fake news- it's not a former Erie car at all.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds