Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP Montreal-Quebec City RDC at Lanoraie QC, 1974

Date: 01/24/20 17:17
CP Montreal-Quebec City RDC at Lanoraie QC, 1974
Author: eminence_grise

The whole crew of an eastbound RDC waves to the fireman on a railfan excursion on February 23, 1974.
Lanoraie QC is on the north shore of the St.Lawrence River between Montreal and Trois Rivieres . CP purchased the Quebec,Montreal,Ottawa & Occidental Railway. The QMO&O had distinctive and ornate stations. In the 1970's, Lanoraie also had an abandoned station hotel . The excursion train featured an MLW RS10 for power. The excursion is shown crossing the St.Maurice River on freight only trackage between Trois Riviers and Shawinigan QC.

Date: 01/24/20 18:06
Re: CP Montreal-Quebec City RDC at Lanoraie QC, 1974
Author: MEKoch

I like all three images, but number 1 shows speed

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/24/20 18:08
Author: 4489

And 2200 series coaches.  Some of the most comfortable cars ever made.

Date: 01/24/20 22:08
Author: feclark

A neat series, and I agree about the first photo - it captures the moment and atmosphere so well.
Fred

Date: 01/24/20 23:00
Author: krm152

Awesome winter scenes.
Thanks for posting.
ALLEN

Date: 01/25/20 02:20
Author: gcm

A great set of photos !
What a cold looking scene in the first one.
Gary

Date: 01/25/20 05:42
Author: ghCBNS

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like all three images, but number 1 shows speed
>

For the oldtimers here that can remember Don Steffee's annual Speed Survey of the fastest trains in North America in TRAINS Magazine ....CP trains on this line between Montreal and Quebec City and also between Calgary and Edmonton would occasionally appear.

Date: 01/25/20 10:50
Author: cn6218

eminence_grise Wrote:
> The whole crew of an eastbound RDC waves to the
> fireman on a railfan excursion on February 23,
> 1974.

You must have been riding the baggage car, were you?  Did they do the sheet of plywood across the door trick even in the winter time for the hard core photographers?

GTD

Date: 01/25/20 12:00
Author: eminence_grise

cn6218 Wrote:
> eminence_grise Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The whole crew of an eastbound RDC waves to the
> > fireman on a railfan excursion on February 23,
> > 1974.
>
> You must have been riding the baggage car, were
> you?  Did they do the sheet of plywood across the
> door trick even in the winter time for the hard
> core photographers?
>
> GTD

Yes they did, and painted it silver to match the paint on the car. St.Lawrence Railway Society.offered at little more, note the Skyline in the consist. I remember the Shawinigan Chamber of Commerce handing out shots of brandy to everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/20 20:55 by eminence_grise.

Date: 01/25/20 19:51
Author: jp1822

The first photograph is epic! The Budd RDC standing up to be "all weather" transportation.

I will hand it to VIA that they do push through in some really heavy winter weather......

Amtrak's Empire Builder was also like that, and even after Christmas 2019, it was the only form of transportation still moving (westbound) - at 80 miler per out of Grand Forks, ND nonetheless. A bone-chilling and windy blizzard was just outside the windows of the train. The roads were all shutdown. Airports closed. At 6:30 a.m. I finally got up and out of my sleeper room to head to the diner to partake of an early morning breakfast. Sat across from a passenger who had just boarded in Grand Forks to "escape the blizzard." Amtrak was the only thing moving! Who would have predicted that the next few weeks would be a travelling nightmare on the Empire Builder - freight derailment at Bonner's Ferry that messed up the Empire Builders (but they did continue to operate through this particular dilemma - turning at Whitefish). Then heavy snowfall in central Cascades that did in fact cause outright service disruptions and cancellations!  

Date: 01/26/20 13:23
Author: EL833

Great series and yes, I've got to agree- that first photo is the bomb !

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0606 seconds