Home Open Account Help 216 users online

Canadian Railroads > What is the purpose?

Date: 02/04/20 07:44
What is the purpose?
Author: Goldie

At the Stavebank Rd crossing at the Port Credit GO Station - Lakeshore Line in Mississauga.  Some sort of noise abatement?

Date: 02/04/20 07:56
Re: What is the purpose?
Author: mile250

To keep people from using the grade crossing as access to the RR right-of-way.

Date: 02/04/20 08:25
Author: joemvcnj

Are any of those in the US ?

Date: 02/04/20 10:29
Author: TCnR

Looks very similar to a cattle guard out on the rangeland, agree it looks like would be to keep regular folks off the right of way. Not sure if it would shred tires but can imagine it would discourage automobiles from getting past this, although they would still be in foul of the tracks but visible by passing cars. I've seen mats like this at construction site gates, presumably to keep smaller vehicles from getting into the site. Just an educated guess though, not my mats.

Date: 02/04/20 12:00
Author: PHall

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks very similar to a cattle guard out on the
> rangeland, agree it looks like would be to keep
> regular folks off the right of way. Not sure if it
> would shred tires but can imagine it would
> discourage automobiles from getting past this,
> although they would still be in foul of the tracks
> but visible by passing cars. I've seen mats like
> this at construction site gates, presumably to
> keep smaller vehicles from getting into the site.
> Just an educated guess though, not my mats.

The ones at construction sites are to remove rocks from the tire treads of vehicles leaving the construction site.

Date: 02/04/20 12:50
Author: railsmith

mile250 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To keep people from using the grade crossing as
> access to the RR right-of-way.

Right, and regularly used in Europe. Photo shows a sample on display at the InnoTrans exhibition in Berlin in 2016. Several suppliers were displaying comparable products.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/20 12:51 by railsmith.

Date: 02/04/20 12:56
Author: 4451Puff

As an American, I can’t wait until these show up here in the states so I can attempt to walk across, stumble, lightly injure myself, & team up with an attorney to get enough money from the railroad to never have to work a day in my life again!! (*sarcasm*)

Desmond Praetzel, “4451 Puff”

Date: 02/04/20 17:46
Author: toledopatch

I doubt that would stop a pedestrian trespasser, but it could hang up a vehicle.

Date: 02/05/20 07:15
Author: Goldie

Thanks for all the info. It tweeked my memory of a news article (attached) from The Mississauga News.

Date: 02/05/20 08:27
Author: mile250

The mats at construction sites are to keep mud on truck tires from being carried to city streets, where it obscures pavement markings, clogs storms drains, and is not nice to pedestrians and bike riders.

Date: 02/05/20 13:01
Anti-Trespass Panels
Author: DWDebs/2472

https://www.rosehillrail.com/products/anti-trespass-panels/specifications/Anti-Trespass and Cattle Guard panels are designed to deter people or animals from crossing the track at unauthorised places. They have been used more recently, to deter metal thieves - click here to read the news story.
  • "ProRail have another deterrent to copper thieves - Rosehill’s Anti-Trespass panels make the track inaccessible. The panels are being trialled at two railway crossings. Transport Minister Melanie Schultz reported to the Government “These special panels make it virtually impossible to enter the track”. British Panels Work A spokesman for ProRail said that the panels in Britain are already used. “They are proven effective,” he says. “They are made of hard rubber, so hard that you can not walk on them. Since many copper thieves carry heavy tools, it makes it very difficult for them to cross”. The panels not only deter copper thieves, ProRail also hopes to prevent runners and people with suicidal plans from entering the track area"
This latest innovation presents major lifespan benefits over existing anti-trespass installations and is set to become the natural successor to wood. Like all Rosehill Rail products, it has been designed and constructed for easy installation, maximum safety, durability and long life.They will fit any rail and sleeper, are easily installed and cannot be accidentally displaced as they fit under the rail to form a complete matrix across the track. They can be cut to fit if necessary and can be removed for tamping and replaced without damage. Click here to download the leaflet.
Specifications & Benefits
  • Very simple to install
  • Supplied complete with simple fixings
  • Easy to remove and replace for tamping
Safety
  • Will not break up
  • No threat of track circuitry failure
  • Ideal for passenger safety on station platform ends (customised to fit)
Lifespan & Durability
  • Indefinite (25 years+) subject to correct installation
Compatibility
  • For use with all crossing systems
  • Fits any sleeper and any rail section
  • Can be cut to fit around track fixings and the six foot area

Date: 02/05/20 14:17
Re: Anti-Trespass Panels
Author: march_hare

Next countermeasure: cans of spray foam sealant. Fill in the low spots, spray lightly with water, wait 10-15 minutes. Stiff enough to walk on, probably drive on. 

When Great Stuff is outlawed, only outlaws will carry Great Stuff. (It’s even available in dark gray, to make it less obvious. )

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0751 seconds