Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP Rail derailment in Saskatchewan

Date: 02/06/20 08:30
CP Rail derailment in Saskatchewan
Author: telegraphboy

There was a derailment on the  CP Rail line southeast of Saskatoon today.  An oil train,
massive fire.  Same area as previous derailment (Guernsey) less than 2 months ago.
Looks like Deja Vu all over again.
         Sid

Date: 02/06/20 09:11
Re: CP Rail derailment in Saskatchewan
Author: stevelv

Date: 02/06/20 13:28
Author: ldstephey

Federal Transport Minister Marc Garneau is ordering that all trains carrying a significant amount of dangerous goods on federal lines slow down, in the wake of a CP crude oil train derailment in Saskatchewan this morning. 

"I am very concerned about the derailments of railway cars containing dangerous goods in the past 12 months," Garneau said in a statement issued earlier today. "That is why I am issuing an immediate order to slow trains carrying significant quantities of dangerous goods on federally regulated railway tracks across Canada.

"The order, which will take effect Friday at midnight, will require trains travelling through metropolitan areas to limit their speed to a maximum of 32 km/h, and 40 km/h everywhere else. "This is a precautionary measure being taken today, as we are seeing similarities between this accident and other recent accidents such as weather conditions and speed," Garneau said.

"I have asked my officials to examine all issues related to these accidents to determine if additional safety measures will be required.

"The order was issued despite anticipated economic impacts, Garneau said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/sask-train-derailment-1.5453942

Date: 02/06/20 14:00
Author: Marcus

CP CEO Keith Creel has written, 
"CP fully supports this action and it has been implemented effective immediately."

"The order requires a slowdown of "key trains (which contain 20 or more cars carrying dangerous goods).
In metropolitan areas, these trains will be limited to 20 mph. Outside these areas, trains will be limited to 25 mph.""

CP statement,
https://www.cpr.ca/en/media/cp-statement-on-guernsey-sask-derailment

No statement from CN so far.

Date: 02/06/20 14:31
Author: DrawingroomA

In the hope that a row doesn't break out, I will give some basic information about the location of the village/town/hamlet (described variously by the media) of Guernsey. It is located at mile 44.4 of the Sutherland Subdivision which runs from Wynyard in the east to Saskatoon (mile 113.5) in the west. It is part of the CPR's secondary mainline across the prairies.

Date: 02/06/20 14:57
Author: Jimbo

DrawingroomA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the hope that a row doesn't break out, I will
> give some basic information about the location of
> the village/town/hamlet (described variously by
> the media) of Guernsey. It is located at mile 44.4
> of the Sutherland Subdivision which runs from
> Wynyard in the east to Saskatoon (mile 113.5) in
> the west. It is part of the CPR's secondary
> mainline across the prairies.

Thanks for the information.  

Is it signaled or dark territory?

Date: 02/06/20 15:27
Author: Lackawanna484

Didn't Canadian authorities issue a similar edict on haz-mat trains after Lac Megantic?  

Date: 02/06/20 15:52
Author: tsokolan

Jimbo Wrote:

>
> Is it signaled or dark territory?

OCS (ie dark) territory

-Trevor

Date: 02/06/20 17:42
Author: PHall

Can the crews make it between crew change points in 12 hours or less at 25MPH?

Date: 02/06/20 17:49
Author: irhoghead

CP says slow DOWN to 25 MPH. Some of their shippers no doubt are saying that they wished their trains would speed UP to 25 MPH.

Date: 02/06/20 18:50
Author: sarailfan

I can forsee CN and CP holding hazmat traffic once a manifest reaches 19 cars so those trains won't be limited to 25 mph. Those extra cars sit til there's enough for a train, then we get a train with ALL the hazmat. I'm not convinced that it's a safer way.

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 02/06/20 19:03
Author: PlyWoody

Maybe it was the same engineer who wrecked the oil train only a few months ago, same crew base.  What was the cause of the last derailment and flaming wreck?  How fast was this train moving and what was the placement of the cars that derailed in how long a train?  Maybe if Canada Investigating body had figure out what caused that wrecks quicker, they might have corrected the problem that caused this flaming wreck.  The CTC can not even give an answer for a run away when the brake control handle is left in emergency position for 2 hours and no hand brakes were on the train. 

Date: 02/06/20 22:01
Author: PHall

The Canadian investigators are no slower then the American investigators. So what's your point?

Date: 02/07/20 07:10
Author: eminence_grise

From a happier time for Guernsey SK. A eastbound train in 1972 leaving Guernsey with a number of older covered hopper cars to load with animal feed at Harrowby SK.
The feed mill found the "slab side" covered hoppers ideal for loading their commodity and requested them if available.

The residents of Guernsey have been evacuated twice for oil train derailments. No loss of life or injuries but massive clean ups.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0559 seconds