Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Canadian Railroads > Forty Friday - CN at Bells Junction

Date: 02/07/20 22:20
Forty Friday - CN at Bells Junction
Author: feclark

I still had this scan from a previous flurry left to post; it's the "usual" for its era in Ottawa, running between Montreal and points west. This is probably #308, Symington Yard in Winnipeg to Montreal, I think (this was typically early to mid-morning, as I recall), on April 13, 1977, at 0615. Lead unit is 9477, trailer is a sister unit, 96xx. It's coming up to Bells Junction on the west side of Ottawa, CP's Carleton Place Sub is in the foreground and about to join CN's Beachburg Sub to my right. The line was mostly on a fill, so unless you wanted to be down in the ditch looking up, you got stuck with the pole line.
Fred

Date: 02/11/20 08:21
Re: Forty Friday - CN at Bells Junction
Author: moonliter

Once again another great photo Fred.  I'm wondering about the remains of the stucture on the left side of your photo. Any insights?

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 02/11/20 09:40
Author: feclark

moonliter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once again another great photo Fred.  I'm
> wondering about the remains of the stucture on the
> left side of your photo. Any insights?
>
> Gerry Gaugl
> Ottawa ON
>
>
>  

To be honest, I think what we're looking at is a fence line, the posts made of rough split logs, so they have facets. This is from a long time ago, and as often as I walked this stretch, I really can't remember what was south of the tracks until you got to Steenbakker's lumber in the distance. I hope you appreciated the fine roadbed, which looks like glacial till and probably didn't drain worth a darn; it grew lush weeds, though!
Fred

Date: 02/11/20 11:41
Author: moonliter

Ha ha, now you've got me squinting.  You are quite correct, they are indeed fence posts.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds