Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Canadian Railroads > TH&B Tuesday

Date: 02/11/20 03:55
TH&B Tuesday
Author: hoggerdoug

Ron Tuff photo of TH&B 56 from May 1979 at Kinnear yard (Hamilton, Ont.) From what I recall 56 is on the "east leg" of the wye at Kinnear. Both legs of the wye connected to the tail that was the start of the Belt Line north to the industrial area of the city. There were electrically operated derails with signals on the wye as well as an electrically operated switch at the tail. Permission and "clearance" were needed from the Train Dispatcher for movements on the belt line.
Doug

Date: 02/11/20 08:19
Re: TH&B Tuesday
Author: moonliter

Great photo Doug.  What interests me the most is the chain and pole hanging under the running board.  When was the practice of "poling cars" eliminated?  Did this also include the use of a chain to tow a car?

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/20 11:36 by moonliter.

Date: 02/11/20 09:42
Author: feclark

Between Ron's exposure and your scanning, this is a fine shot under a tough sun angle; neat scene, and anonymity of the crewman is preserved.
Fred

Date: 02/11/20 14:16
Author: hoggerdoug

I'm not sure when poling was banned. Looking at some other TH&B slides most pre June 1979 have  pole & chain. After that date the few slides I have there are no pole & chain.
During my brief time with TH&B (1972  & early 1973) I saw a pole used once and it sure looked unsafe maneuver.  
BC Rail did not use poles for poling.
Doug
moonliter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photo Doug.  What interests me the most is
> the chain and pole hanging under the running
> board.  When was the practice of "poling cars"
> eliminated?  Did this also include the use of a
> chain to tow a car?
>
> Gerry Gaugl
> Ottawa ON

Date: 02/11/20 16:29
Author: krm152

Like you TH&B Thursday posts.
Please keep them coming.
ALLEN

Date: 02/11/20 21:51
Author: PHall

Didn't they stop putting poling pockets on new freight cars around about 1960 or so?

Date: 02/13/20 13:56
Author: BarstowRiff

Can't tell you how much i enjoy your TH&B posts. What a great little railroad!

Bill Root
               Oceano, California

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds