Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Canadian Railroads > The Ocean and Operation Lifesaver

Date: 03/25/20 15:07
The Ocean and Operation Lifesaver
Author: cn6218

VIA F40 6411 got an Operation Lifesaver wrap sometime around 2004, and wore it until it was rebuilt as an F40PH-3 some years later.  In addition to the wrap, it also received an experimental 5-chime horn on the cab roof, which later became standard equipment when the remaining F40s were rebuilt at CAD in Montreal.  It's shown here leaving Halifax with the Ocean on September 25, 2004 with the Queen Mary 2 in the background at Piers 20 and 21.

Two days later, 6411 was back in Halifax and was rosterized while turning the Ocean on the Halterm loop.  With the ongoing expansion at Halterm, now PSA Halifax, the loop will be taken out and VIA will have to figure out a different way of turning the train.  Or perhaps they will run a train that doesn't need to be turned.  Time will tell what happens, but the deadline is November, 2020.

GTD

Date: 03/25/20 18:30
Re: The Ocean and Operation Lifesaver
Author: DrawingroomA

Thanks for getting my favourite ship in the photo. I was in Halifax at that time, having taken the Ocean for the specific purpose of getting photos and video of the inaugural trip to Canada of this splendid liner. It would be 10 years before I was able to arrive in Halifax on the Queen Mary 2 and board the Ocean two days later. Thanks for the memories.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0315 seconds