Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Canadian Railroads > The In-Between Ocean

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/27/20 01:38
The In-Between Ocean
Author: ghCBNS

I needed some points to keep status in VIA's Preference Program and time was running out. My original trip had to be delayed due to the Indigenous protests in February so when trains resumed.....I made a move and a good thing I did as they were soon cancelled again with Covid-19.

In early March....I took the Ocean from Halifax to Montreal. Here's a few shots from that trip:

Date: 03/27/20 01:40
Re: The In-Between Ocean

>

Date: 03/27/20 01:42

>>

Date: 03/27/20 01:43

>>>

Date: 03/27/20 01:45

This was a mixed Budd-Renaissance consist. I was in a Renn Cabin for 2.

VIA #15 March 4, 2020

two F40s
one Budd Baggage
three Budd Coaches
one Ren Transition
one Ren Service Car
one Ren Diner
one Ren Service Car
two Ren Sleepers
one Ren Transition
three Budd Chateau Sleepers
one Budd Park Car

Date: 03/27/20 01:46

>>>>

Date: 03/27/20 01:47

>>>>>

Date: 03/27/20 01:48

>>>>>>

Date: 03/27/20 01:50

We met several more trains than we would normally which I assume was from CN clearing up the backlog. This put us just over an hour late into Montreal but all and all...a good trip.

Date: 03/27/20 03:11
Author: andersonb109

Seems strange now to see a Park Car in it's original configuration. 

Date: 03/27/20 05:39
Author: JPB

Great pictures (especially dinner and breakfast meals!) but it looks like you chartered the train just for yourself! I'm guessing there were other passengers?

Serious question: what is a "Ren Service Car"? Ooops - never mind! I found the answer at Wikipedia - a Ren Service Car is a lounge car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/20 05:41 by JPB.

Date: 03/27/20 06:14

We had about 20 total out of Halifax in both Coach and Sleeper and did pick up more from Moncton > west but the usual numbers were off probably due to the Indigenous protests and people were starting to think of Covid-19.

Most times I was the only one....or one or two others in the Dome.

The Ren Service Cars also have the 'Kitchen' for the Diners where the those meals are reheated in Convection Ovens and re-plated.

And if you're wondering.....here's the interior of a Ren Transition Car. It's used for storage.

Date: 03/27/20 06:53
Author: briancdn

Great photos and narrative. I've been pondering taking the Ocean, and these photos might be the push I need after this virus threat has passed.

Brian N.

Date: 03/27/20 07:07
Author: joemvcnj

Catered meals can be excelllent. 

Date: 03/27/20 09:24
Author: WP17

While I do like most of the upgrades to the Prestige Park car, I do much prefer the individual chairs in the bullet lounge to the sofa type seating in the Prestige version -- the latter seems somewhat oversized for the lounge.

And kudos to VIA for managing to present tasty and visually appealing meals that are prepared off the train and reheated aboard. Too bad this news has not reached Amtrak.

WP17

Date: 03/27/20 09:40
Author: BuddPullman

Terrific report and photos.  Thank you.

Date: 03/27/20 12:09
Author: robj

Great coverage, glad you could take trip.

Bob

Date: 03/27/20 12:28
Author: cn6218

Looks like I just missed you in Montreal (I assume you arrived on March 5th?).  I had been out that morning to get some last shots of the electrics (I think today is the last day they operate), and took train 934 from Deux Montagnes to Central station, arriving at 10:27, too late to get the Ocean even if you were late.  Then it was off to Dorval for a few more hours.  I seem to have survived my adventures on public transit in Montreal.  I've been back for 3 weeks now, and no virus symptoms yet (knock on wood!).

GTD

Date: 03/27/20 12:49

cn6218 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like I just missed you in Montreal (I assume
> you arrived on March 5th?)....

So close! Yes I did arrive on the 5th then spent the day riding the Metro. Friday morning I took the train to Jonquiere...then made my way back to Montreal via Quebec City and onto Toronto.

Guess I did OK riding public transit also...but have been 'social distancing' since I got back with only the occasional trip to Sobeys, the NSLC and Tim's drive-thru!

Date: 03/27/20 14:36
Author: BigSkyBlue

After checking out this post I want to ride the Ocean!  Between Covid19, Halifax loop track going away, and Renissance equipment issues, the clock may be ticking for this operation as it is.   BSB

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0815 seconds