Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Canadian Railroads > BCR nostalgia stuff

Date: 05/19/20 14:04
BCR nostalgia stuff
Author: jbwest

The transition of BCR to CN was sad, and now with CN suspending service on the most scenic section one can only worry about the future.  In my mind the south end of the ex-BCR is the most scenic railroad mile for mile in the world, it surprises me that things like the Budd cars, the BCR's attempt at a tourist train, and now the Rocky Mountaineer have not been wildly successful. But it is what it is, and I'm just happy I got to visit a couple of times in better days.  Here are a few of my favorite big country small train kind of views of the BCR.  The first westbound out of Lillooet along Seton Lake, the next two in the Fraser River canyon.  I remember riding in the cab of an RDC down the hill into Lillooet.....wow, what a railroad.

JBWX 

Date: 05/19/20 16:34
Re: BCR nostalgia stuff
Author: NDHolmes

Hard to believe BCR has been gone now for just over 16 years now.  I still remember my last trip up there in 2003 like it was yesterday, and despite the trip was a bit of a stretch at the time, I have zero regrets looking back. (I took two unpaid weeks off to do it, as I was still early in my career and had minimal vacation - which given we had closed on our first house the week before the trip, my wife wasn't exactly thrilled about it.) Now the south end is largely shut down, the 4600s are headed (probably) for the scrap heap, and the people that made it BCR are dispersed all over.  As you say John, it was a railroad of some very big scenery.

Date: 05/19/20 18:37
Author: TCnR

Great stuff, even the roadside weeds are pretty.
t4p.

Date: 05/19/20 19:15
Author: railsmith

NDHolmes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hard to believe BCR has been gone now for just
> over 16 years now. 

Not quite 16 years yet. July 15 is the anniversary.

And a train ran yesterday through the scenes in the last two photos of the original poster and your last two photos. Baretables from Prince Rupert via Prince George for storage at Lillooet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/20 19:19 by railsmith.

Date: 05/23/20 18:56
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

Date: 05/24/20 09:11
Author: rschonfelder

railsmith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> And a train ran yesterday through the scenes in
> the last two photos of the original poster and
> your last two photos. Baretables from Prince
> Rupert via Prince George for storage at Lillooet.

Interesting. I did not know that.

Rick

Date: 05/26/20 18:36
Author: BoostedFridge

Some excellent images here!

JBWX, I really like how your second image conveys just how big the terrain there is compared to the train.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds