Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Canadian Railroads > American Iron & Metal TP90

Date: 06/19/20 17:10
American Iron & Metal TP90
Author: DundasMP23

AIMX 1936 is a Tractive Power Corp. TP90, which I believe is the one and only (so far).  It arrived at American Iron & Metal's scrap yard in Hamilton, ON late March / early April.  I went down to get a shot of it this afternoon and was hoping to hear it working but unfortunately they weren't switching at the time.  It briefly throttled up at one point and sounded just like a truck.  It's powered by a Cummins 513 hp Tier 4 Engine.  Considering how awful some industrial locomotives look this one looks pretty sharp.  AIM was established in 1936 by Peter Black, both of which are honoured on the locomotive.  

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

Date: 06/19/20 17:30
Re: American Iron & Metal TP90
Author: moonliter

Great photo, any more history about the company and its appearance in Hamilton?  Who did they take over, etc?  All the name of the scrap yard here in Ottawa have changed also.  You may have seen my photo of a westbound CN train on the Kingston sub with a long cut of AIMX cars in tow, but I have no idea where they originated or their final destination.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 06/19/20 18:12
Author: DundasMP23

I'm not sure of their history in Hamilton.  An employee I briefly talked to claims they ship out 100 cars/day.  That seems a tad high, however they do appear to be doing a booming business.  They've recently purchased many new cars from National Steel Car just down the road also.

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

Date: 06/20/20 14:11
Author: feclark

Nifty unit, nice shot! Love industrials. It's a pity they opted for Flexicoil trucks, because those things just disappear in shadow in an Ontario summer. Maybe they should have silvered them?
Fred

Date: 06/21/20 06:25
Author: SantaFe9820

That thing looks really cool with the flexicoils! Thank you, and any further footage of this will be appreciated.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds