Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Canadian Railroads > Freight Car Friday - Maersk Bulkhead Container

Date: 07/24/20 22:54
Freight Car Friday - Maersk Bulkhead Container
Author: feclark

From Monday July 20, east of Viking at MP 178 of the Wainwright Sub, this is Maersk bulkhead container MAEU 348447_8 in the consist of #199 at 1602. I don't know if I've seen one of these before, and I was curious about the folding bulkheads, and why they'd have one folded down, the other still raised. Does anyone have an explanation?
Fred

Date: 07/25/20 00:41
Re: Freight Car Friday - Maersk Bulkhead Container
Author: BoostedFridge

They are called 'Flat Racks'.  The folding bulkheads are to make them versatile for carrying all sorts of odd shaped loads.  Both bulkheads get folded down for stacking on other flat racks when not in use.

Date: 07/25/20 09:34
Author: Frank30

One end folded and one not: could it be that somebody might  try to load another container on top if they were
both folded, especially if the two already on the car were the same color??
Frank30

Date: 07/25/20 10:34
Author: Zephyr

Flat racks is exactly what they are, and they are very versatile.  I'm guessing one end wouldn't fold down for mechanical reasons, so they just left it up.

Date: 07/25/20 16:40
Author: feclark

Thanks for the input; I'd seen the bulkhead containers CN uses for shipping wheel sets, but they're rigid.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0351 seconds